John Proctor in The Crucible

If I were you I'd start by identifying the qualities of a tragic hero and then find examples from the text to support that John Proctor does indeed fit the definition of a tragic hero. Then you could go deeper into analysis and use literary devices and such to develop your thesis.

Identify what makes a tragic hero, a tragic hero. For example, wanting the benefit for all but not being able to get it, tragic end, his death, his feelings, something like that. Then relate those elements to examples in the novel. How he's cheated by Abigail to make him look a lot worse than he is, how Abigail claims she's a saint and stuff. How his beautiful wifeee Elizabeth (I love her), still defends him even though he's going to die and that kinda stuff, I already forgot about that play. But you need to make a thesis, and support it with evidence from the book (my ex-english teacher would be so proud of me right now :(). Use the following... thingy:

Symbols

Theme

Organization

Progression

Big Three (Speaker, Audience, Situation)

Atmosphere

Diction

Fig. Language

Imagery

Tone

• 3 weeks later...