Canadian Universities

ibkid

Ok, im from Canada and whatnot and people are talking about how they want to go to universities in America. Generally, I think that Canadians think that American Universities are better ( they are but....)

So, I was wondering if American students think the same or they know any famous Canadian Universities. :P

Hmm hahaha thats some of the famous universities in canada .

I can name a few American universities:

Yale

Harvard

M.I.T.

Princeton

Berkeley

UCLA

etc...

etc...

hahaha i think that in general, there are alot more good universities in USA, its just a fact :blink:

Edited by ibkid

• 3 weeks later...
How easy is it to get scholarships for Canadian universities when you are an international student?

If I have to pay full fees then I can't finance it.

I applied to UBC and U of T...

it was pretty easy getting scholarship at UBC cuz of good grades, but U of T's a bit stingy. It's possible, but less chances.

Hope that helps =)

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the Maclean rankings. :D

Internationally... UofT, UBC, McGill, Queens... etc. are pretty well known. In Canada... Waterloo is known for Math, cs, and co-op. Western Ontario and York U. have the top business programs. There are a few "specialized" schools like that, known for one or two programs. Like I've said, check out Maclean's rankings. ;D

being straight and honest, how do the top canadian universities compare to American universities? Lets say if they were to be ranked in usnews rankings or just in general - is Mcgill roughly equivalent to yale, standford, dartmouth, etc? I noticed some of them are ranked quite highly on the 'world rankings' and canadian universities seem to be ranked together with some top notch unis in the US. ALSO they seem to be pretty easy to get in (judging from the people i knew who got in and got scholarships) - It seems like a bit of a bargain - to be in a 'top' uni with less stellar stats than people who get into top unis in the US.

What do you guys feel about the standard of unis in Canada compared to unis in the US?

Edited by TOPib

being straight and honest, how do the top canadian universities compare to American universities? Lets say if they were to be ranked in usnews rankings or just in general - is Mcgill roughly equivalent to yale, standford, dartmouth, etc? I noticed some of them are ranked quite highly on the 'world rankings' and canadian universities seem to be ranked together with some top notch unis in the US. ALSO they seem to be pretty easy to get in (judging from the people i knew who got in and got scholarships) - It seems like a bit of a bargain - to be in a 'top' uni with less stellar stats than people who get into top unis in the US.

What do you guys feel about the standard of unis in Canada compared to unis in the US?

I think that the standards of US universities are higher than that in Canada. Like, if you compare the most prestigious unis in Canada and the US, the ones in the US are clearly ranked higher up. But I think its just location..US seems like a good country to study in (thats what i think)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to point something out, in Canada - the government helps pay off some of the university tuition and thus, it's much less than American universities.

Here in Canada, you can find a yearly tuition ranging from about $8000 - $20 000, while in the US, my girlfriend told me $40 000 a year was cheap for a small university.

I'm just saying what I've learned from my Careers teacher/people's talk.

it depends on the course you are taking. if its life sci then its hard to get into mcgill or ut unless you have good marks. but i noe tons of ppl who got into the same unis with okay marks b/c they chose intl relations, etc. so idk...i think there isnt that much of a difference