Canadian Universities

ibkid

The Health Sci program is very competitive. Only 160 students are accepted each year and 3000+ people apply. Everyone accepted MUST have a minimum grade 12 average of 90% and a stellar supplementary application or they're rejected.

Better start working hard then! The average shouldn't be hard to attain but as for the application... hmm, no fun.

Either way, thanks for the info. :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Canadian universities are not prestigious in the same way that American universities are, if you know what I mean. Canadian universities tend to be "lopsided" whereas American universities tend to be more "well-rounded". Certain programs at Canadian universities will be absolutely amazing whereas others in the same university are not prestigious at all. For example, Schulich at York is one of the most respected business programs in Canada (and arguably internationally as well) but York is not really renowned for its science programs.

I'm from Canada,

and I know I'm only in IB1, but I can't help but to fret and worry and stress out about what university I would like to go, and basically, what I can get best out of which university.

UFT does NOT recognize IB as much as you would like, because it already has plenty of brilliant (non-IB) students as it is. They don't really care about IB, well, in my experiences anyway.

I'm completely torn between staying in Canada, (there's Waterloo, McGill, McMasters...) or going somewhere off in the US... where IB is 'supposedly' more well known...

Though, personally, I think Canadian Universities, depending on which, of course... credit and is willing to give more to IB students compared to the US ones I've looked into.

I could be wrong, but, all I'm saying is that... I hear people in my class talking about being "stuck" in Canada...

and I wonder sometimes if I'm 'rotting' away... but really,

Canada isn't that bad.

:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Anybody knows how good are the business schools of UBC and U of T? And also which would you consider is the university (canadian) with the best business school?

Rotman School of Business at U of T is good.

and the Schulich School of Business at York <-- both my parents did their graduate degrees there and I lived there on campus with them, so I think it's the best one ;)

I'm completely torn between staying in Canada, (there's Waterloo, McGill, McMasters...) or going somewhere off in the US... where IB is 'supposedly' more well known...

Not totally true, McGill is really keen on IB students and offer special scholarships for them.

In general, Rotman and Schulich are great for business. Waterloo is best in Canada for math, accounting and arguably engineering. McGill's premed is definitely one of the best in the world. Wilfred Laurier has a really strong history department. OCAD for art, and I don't know about UBC.

Edited by eblake

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know any universities in Canada that have a strong department for science?

maybe UBC? UT? I know Mcgill stands out a lot in Science but it is very competitive. I also heard that Mcgill and Queens are biased against students that are not from Ontario; is that true?

I'm currently applying for Waterloo, UT, Western, Laurier, and McMaster. does anyone know which of these schools require supplementary info (essays, achievements, reference...)?

I'm currently at McMaster :sparta: . Supplementary applications depend on the program..I'm in the Health Sciences program which does require a supplementary application, but most other programs don't. Waterloo requires a supplementary application (called the AIF). Western generally doesn't.

I got accepted for Waterloo Actuarial Science, and Business Administration and Mathematics (double degree), and Advance Entry to Ivey at Western with Math in first 2 years. I'm really stuck with which one to choose >.< ... advice please!! Thanks in advance

Congratulations. Out of the two, you're best off at Ivey and Western. Ivey's business program is really respected in Canada.

I got accepted for Waterloo Actuarial Science, and Business Administration and Mathematics (double degree), and Advance Entry to Ivey at Western with Math in first 2 years. I'm really stuck with which one to choose >.< ... advice please!! Thanks in advance

Did you have to write an AIF for waterloo?