Canadian Universities

ibkid

Having a co-op program isn't much use if you can't get a job though, heh. With the economy right now, all co-op students are struggling to find jobs, but especially first years (since they don't have enough knowledge/experience). Any jobs available are going to upper year students. My best friend still hasn't found a co-op job for this May. My boyfriend had to take on a volunteering position working as a lab research assistant at U of T rather than a paid co-op job as a last resort.

You HAVE to find a job. Volunteer or work. You can't just do nothing for your work term or else you're penalized. Not sure what the policy is for different programs, but I know in engineering, you're only allowed to do nothing for one work term in the 5 year program without losing marks.

And during your work term you don't have school.

That's a scary thought. I mean, you can't even delay the work term until further notice and continue accumulating credits instead? I was considering co-op programmes at one point but I didn't know that they were this stringent. Wow.

And Irene, don't mean to pry, but why specifically do you want to go to biomed at Waterloo? You said that you got into biomed at Western too, right? Why not there?

Here you go!

University World Ranking

University of British Columbia 38

University of Alberta Flag of ca 61

Simon Fraser University 62

Université de Montreal 63

University of Calgary 69

Mcgill University 91

University of Waterloo 94

Université Laval 110

Personally, I don't agree with this, I think that McGill, Waterloo and Toronto university are the Big Three :) in Canada

And Irene, don't mean to pry, but why specifically do you want to go to biomed at Waterloo? You said that you got into biomed at Western too, right? Why not there?

I've gotten into most of my programs, actually. I posted on the univ offers thread if you're interested. [Here] Anyway, I just don't like Western that much despite its beautiful campus, great food, etc. Program-wise, it doesn't make a difference for me as I'll be heading off to grad school after 2-3 years. Waterloo has a School of Pharm so if I decide to pursue that instead of med, well, I'm already there.

That and I was there to do my EE so I know some people. :)

University World Ranking

University of British Columbia 38

University of Alberta 61

Simon Fraser University 62

Université de Montreal 63

University of Calgary 69

Mcgill University 91

University of Waterloo 94

Université Laval 110

That doesn't seem accurate in the least. McGill, UBC, and UofT are the big 3 in Canada, so to put UofA and UofC ahead of McGill seems comical, i.e. my ass McGill is 91. :)

I've gotten into most of my programs, actually. I posted on the univ offers thread if you're interested. [Here] Anyway, I just don't like Western that much despite its beautiful campus, great food, etc. Program-wise, it doesn't make a difference for me as I'll be heading off to grad school after 2-3 years. Waterloo has a School of Pharm so if I decide to pursue that instead of med, well, I'm already there.

That and I was there to do my EE so I know some people. :)

That doesn't seem accurate in the least. McGill, UBC, and UofT are the big 3 in Canada, so to put UofA and UofC ahead of McGill seems comical, i.e. my ass McGill is 91. wtf.gif

LOL, i don't agree with the world rankings either, but hey.. blame the world:P and I think Waterloo should be considered as it is a hotspot for some very successful engineers. But hey, whatever floats your boat! :)

Edited by Mahdi7

Haha, wow, Simon Fraser's on the list and McGill's not? That just ... wow. Really though, there isn't such a giant discrepancy between Canadian universities as there is in the States.

And Irene, whoa, your predicted scores are really impressive. Seems like we are interested in the same programmes. I might see you at UWaterloo in one and a half years. :D I'm leaning towards going to Western right now though.

Haha, wow, Simon Fraser's on the list and McGill's not? That just ... wow. Really though, there isn't such a giant discrepancy between Canadian universities as there is in the States.

And Irene, whoa, your predicted scores are really impressive. Seems like we are interested in the same programmes. I might see you at UWaterloo in one and a half years. :D I'm leaning towards going to Western right now though.

Ah, so you're May 2010 then. If you do choose UW Biomed, just be aware that it doesn't have co-op. Med schools don't really care what degree you have as long as you fill the prereqs, and you might prefer a program that helps you pay along the way. Personally, I was attracted to the program so I decided that this was more important than earning money from co-op. UW's scholarships also aren't that great, but they do claim to give a ton of bursaries and other financial aid.

My marks aren't impressive, haha, but thanks. Other candidates on this forum have higher grades. :D

Yep, I'm May 2010. I went to the uni fair this year and I got told that there was some kind of co-op for UW Biomed Sci after two or three years. Not totally sure about that though; my memory fails. :D

You're looking to go to med school? I wanted to originally... but I think pharmacy might be a more viable option for me. Med school is just wayyy too long for my liking and I'm a bit squeamish.

And really, 40+ is impressive in my opinion. I'm a slacker... so if I get anything even remotely close to a 40, I'll be totally convinced of a God (I'm agnostic).

Yep, I'm May 2010. I went to the uni fair this year and I got told that there was some kind of co-op for UW Biomed Sci after two or three years. Not totally sure about that though; my memory fails. XD

Nope. You can switch to Pharmacy after 2 years (provided you get in), and that has co-op though. Well, actually, it's full co-op (every other term) so it's not like you have a choice. :P

You're looking to go to med school? I wanted to originally... but I think pharmacy might be a more viable option for me. Med school is just wayyy too long for my liking and I'm a bit squeamish.

Haha, though if you're squeamish, it might be a better idea to pursue Pharm. Heh, either way, after first year, it'll probably become more clear what you want to do.

Nope, I'm May 2009. Probably going next year. The campus is nice; everyone's friendly and it's really a closenit neighbourhood, etc. My only complaint is their food is gross. I don't think I'll ever get over this fact. :blum:

haha, I think nows the time when you bug your mom to teach you how to cook and buy recipie books. ^_^

I hear that Queen's has the best campus though.