IA--stuck without research question!

reallyhatesib

So, I've been thinking on doing my IA on Philippine History, on the dictator Ferdinand Marcos. I have some research questions in mind, but not sure if they're too broad or whatnot. I kind of need help in deciding and rewording them. :/

To what extent did Imelda Marcos contributed to the downfall of Ferdinand Marcos?

OR

to what extent was the Philippine martial law of 1972 based solely on power?

OR

In what ways did Ferdinand Marcos improved the lives of ordinary people during his regime?

Imelda Marcos, is the wife of Ferdinand Marcos and some say that she contributed to the corruptions of the regime. So...I thought that was interesting.

While some say that the martial law was put up to 'restore peace and order' but it could be just Marcos wanted the power all to himself.

And the last one... I wanna know if he did something good for the Filipino people.

HELP? : /

Edited by reallyhatesib

While all of these are good starts, they are too broad!

1. This is too broad because it doesn't focus on how she did it. Did she do it through political means? Social means? If you choose this, you will need to pick that one area. Because 2000 words is NOT A LOT, and in reality you are only spending about 1100 of those actually writing on your subject.

2. I don't really like this one for some reason. I don't really know, it just doesn't sit right with me.

3. I think this is your best bet out of the three you listed; however, it's still broad. "People" is very broad and you could talk about that forever! You could talk about the entire society! I would pick one group (women, children, minorities, workers, etc) if you chose to do this.

THANK YOU! :)

So I guess, I'll settle for number 3.

To what extent did Ferdinand Marcos improved the lives of the working class during his regime from 1965-1986?

yeah? But then, for my analysis, I would look at how he actually improved the lives of the working class and how he did not? Or could I also talk about how the government was corrupt and only benefited the rich/elite groups?

Thanks again.

Edited by reallyhatesib

For your analysis you'd want to look at any social or economic policies he had. Things like education, welfare programs, human rights for example. Then you would talk about those and tell whether or not they benefited the working class or not. Then you'd come to a conclusion: yes he did improve them, no he didn't, or he did in some areas but didn't in others.

:)