How hard is Ib exactly?

Nami

Hi, I know that IB is HARD, my brother was in it but then dropped out. I really don't want to be like that, can any of you please tell me like exactly how hard is it? How many hours do you have of homework every night? How hard are the exams and how do you study effectively and get atleast 6? I'm in grade 9 and I'm going in pre-ib. I really want to get an Ib Diploma with good marks. How are you guys surviving Ib, any tips that will help especially in exams? All is appreciated. Thank you.

Guest Christian7

Its not that bad if you're willing to work your ass off at it, that being said I have a physics test tomorrow that im screwed for and being on I'm contradicting myself but to get a 6...that's ambitious and I'm not lazy Ill probably get a 6 in english HL, math SL, maybe art HL, but other than that probably around 5 except for physics, don't take physics. Its worth I guess for college preparation and if you procrastinate and complain like I'm doing it only makes it harder. So go for it I think if you've done well in the past with school you'll be fine, kids love to exaggerate how bad it is, and it is bad but still manageable or else it wouldn't exist you know, i still have friends...

• Like 1

At my school, IB isn't very developed. We only have two IB electives (Music and Business.) But the programme itself is definitely challenging. My average amount of homework every night is anywhere from 1-12 hours of homework.

This also depends on your procrastination. I know if I prioritized my schedule a little better, I'd spend much less time doing homework. But skills like that are hard to come by.

I'll be taking my Music and Spanish tests at the end of this year. So I'm studying for that every spare moment I get. Depending on the level of classes you're taking and what classes they actually are, the possibility of a 6 varies.

I'm sure if you talk to a school councelor or an upperclassman, you could figure out the specifics of your programme (:

However hard you want to make it.

If you're looking to score highly, you must invest sufficient time to memorize lots of content.

If you're not aiming for 40+ then less time is needed.

Know your goals and adjust your study habits accordingly

Guest Fate109

I think IB is difficult but if you are willing to work hard and spend three-fourth of your days with the subjects, it is likely you will get good grades. But more importantly, getting a 6 depends on the subject you are taking and if you are really interested in it. For example, I'm taking HL-Biology and getting a 6 in labs is way too hard to achieve; not because it his difficult to get but somehow you always miss something that needed to be included in the lab.

As already said, you should talk to people who you know are studying IB and what is their response. Also, choose wisely whether you are going to take HL or SL for any subject.

I'm going to go against everyone and say it's really not that hard. I procrastinate a lot, and I'm doing quite well. Essentially, you need to know how you work best. I work really well under pressure and I cram well, so that works for me. If you need to take notes to study, make sure you do, it's all just about doing what you need to do to be successful.

• Like 1

Just make sure you don't get caught up with complaining how hard it is instead of actually doing your work! People do exaggerate when talking about the IB- if you have good time management skills and a level-head you will be able to cope and do other things with your life as well! To be honest, I find that the people who get the worst grades tend to do the same amount of homework as the people who get the best ones- they just aren't effective with their time and they dont make use of the plethora of resources out there. That being said, for subjects like biology or to an extent history, you HAVE to remember things. That takes time.

Your final year(s) of high school are going to be hard, regardless of whether you do the IB or your alternative curriculum. Just manage your time well, take advantage of all the help that's available, read criteria and you should be well on your way to getting your desired grades! Oh, and choose your subjects carefully. Good luck!

How hard the IB is depends on the subjects you are taking. For example i take Math Higher Level, I find it challenging but gives the satisfaction needed. I like a challenge and Math HL provides that. On the other hand, I take Biology HL which is an easy subjects because of my passion for medicine. Math HL homework takes around 3-4 hours to do every day however, subjects like Biology takes an hour to study and sometimes you only have to study it on the weekends. So concluding that it depends on the subject.

The markschemes on the exams can be really tricky, so you must train yourself on pastpapers in order to answer perfectly and with the least time but get finally a high mark. IB is really demanding, you must work every day but you will find days that you will be free if you don't leave today's work for tomorrow. Good luck with your choices and if you believe that you can study DAILY then IB is the course for you.

• Like 2

Guest dalledai96

IB is quite hard. But it is very beneficial too. This course has really helped me to manage time and improve my skills in writing reports. I gave so much time for the EE and learned many things while writing it. Though it was hectic and very lengthy, this will surely help me in my future. I suggest those students to study IB who can give time for both studies and fun.

• Like 1

Well...These are still Pre-IB subjects...not the real IB subjects anyway.

Regardless, I think you can make a better judgement when you finish 10th grade. Since your taking Pre-IB history...i should warn yu that History HL is pretty tough....in fact its one of the toughest HL's. But my classmates say its REALLY interesting, and if that rocks your boat.....then don't worry your heading in the right direction for the moment.