Doing a language that is not offered....

Hey guys! Right now I am in pre-IB and have gone through French I to III...However I strongly dislike it and I don't want to take French or Spanish (the only classes offered at my school). I recently discovered there might be a possibility to take a different language (for me it would be Japanese). I am not completely sure though. I was going to ask after Spring Break...I would like to know if anyone has ever done something like study at a community college and taken the IB exam? Or do you have to take an actual IB class?

I'm not entirely sure whether you can, however here's the route I'd take. Ask your IB Supervisor if you can take the course online (I'm sure there's somewhere offering it, try Pamoja). Then, talk to the online course people, and agree with them to self study, and to just use the online course for internal assessments and such.

• Like 2

hey guys, i was wondering if someone would give me some advise, because im in a similar situation as Tengmelo although i was really really want to take self taught arabic ab initio, but despite it being my mother tongue i am far from fluent and i can barely read it. i talked to my school about it and they said its fine by them and that many students have pursued to do self taught languages in my school before. and i really really do not want to take spanish ab initio.

will it really be that hard trying to teach myself and has anyone everdone such before?

hey guys, i was wondering if someone would give me some advise, because im in a similar situation as Tengmelo although i was really really want to take self taught arabic ab initio, but despite it being my mother tongue i am far from fluent and i can barely read it. i talked to my school about it and they said its fine by them and that many students have pursued to do self taught languages in my school before. and i really really do not want to take spanish ab initio.

will it really be that hard trying to teach myself and has anyone everdone such before?

If your coordinator says other have people have taken self-taught languages and that it's fine then I would do it. Ask your coordinator if he/she has access to the arabic ab initio language specific syllabus. It contains all of the vocabulary and grammar lexicons you will need for the exams.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just into the same situation than you. I'm going to France for one year as an Exchange student, so I think that when I get back I will be able to undergo the IB examinations for French B HL just right :D Even if we aren't even taught French at school :D I used to think that wasn't possible because schools kind of "bought" some subjects, and you couldn't get examined in those they wouldn't have bought, but now I discovered you're free to take any one in any part of the world !