Are my classes manageable?

clearwater223

I'm going into the IB dipolma next year, and these are the classes that I'm planning on taking:

Math HL, Physics HL, History HL, English HL, Spanish SL, Economics SL

I'm not sure if I can handle math and physics at the HL level. How hard are they at HL level? And are my classes manageable?

I'm going into the IB dipolma next year, and these are the classes that I'm planning on taking:

Math HL, Physics HL, History HL, English HL, Spanish SL, Economics SL

I'm not sure if I can handle math and physics at the HL level. How hard are they at HL level? And are my classes manageable?

Bravo for aiming at a 4HL Diploma!

You can get a very good idea of how difficult (or easy) Physics HL would be for you by having a look at recent exam papers, which can readily be found on the web. Do look at the corresponding markschemes, too. That's because some of the exam questions give the impression that a complex answer is required, but the markscheme reveals that quite a superficial one is all that is expected!

It's not so easy to judge the difficulty of Maths HL from exam papers on topics that you haven't yet studied. What I would suggest there is that you have a look at the Haese & Harris book "Mathematics for the international student: Mathematics HL", which is also available online. Scanning through this book will give you a better idea of whether you can readily master the subject than reading the syllabus details that are in the Maths HL Guide.

Edited by HiggsHunter

I'm not sure how I'd do in physics, since I haven't taken it before. My math teacher recommends that I take HL math, but I'm not really a math or science person. I'm not naturally good at those subjects, I only have high grades in them because I study a lot and do a lot of practice problems. Would this be a problem if I take HL?

I'm not sure how I'd do in physics, since I haven't taken it before. My math teacher recommends that I take HL math, but I'm not really a math or science person. I'm not naturally good at those subjects, I only have high grades in them because I study a lot and do a lot of practice problems. Would this be a problem if I take HL?

In that case, perhaps you would be wise to review your subject choices to better match your skills and interests? Studying a lot and doing many practice problems is a recipe for success, but if you are not a maths or science person you might be happier taking English, Spanish and History at HL, and Maths, Physics and Economics at SL.

How about thinking about the future career that would interest you, and working back from there to see what qualifications you need to achieve your goal?