How big are your classes?

HiggsHunter

The other 55 just did the regular "academic" program that most people do here.

In that case it's probably better that these students succeed an academic program at the appropriate level for them, rather than tackle the IBDP and fail to get a diploma.

Yeah, that would be one reason why a lot of people choose economics at my school. My economics teacher was very, very good and my school has done well in economics over the years.

An interesting new topic!

My school has around 30 per class. And our TOK class this year for juniors has over 40 people! It's sort of terrible, but public schools don't have much funding for more teachers around here...

Are there many state schools running IB programmes in your country? In Switzerland there are only 4 state-funded schools offering the programmes - all the other IB schools are private.

In my school there's only one IB group, all the others to the regular Spanish program. We're 18 in the IB second year group, and only 3 of us are doing non-science programmes (so most of their classes have 3 students). I am doing science subjects so my group is usually bigger, but still i have some lessons in which we're only 5 or 6 students.

My school is pretty small since its one of the 3 only french schools in the GTA (Great Toronto Area, in Ontario, Canada)

There are currently 23 students taking IB1. One class has 9 students (because some dropped out) and my class has 14. (Everyone takes the same classes except for Biology and Physics so basically I am with the 13 other people for most of my classes)

Our school is semestered (which sucks!) so we have 4 teachers right now. In average, we have 9 teachers

Oh wow. and howmany subject choices do you guys get?

Not many XD

English A1 SL/HL

French B2 SL/HL

Economics SL/HL

Physics SL/HL

Maths SL/HL

Chemistry SL

History SL

Haha that sounds kinda depressing :P no biology or geography :(

My school is pretty small since its one of the 3 only french schools in the GTA (Great Toronto Area, in Ontario, Canada)

There are currently 23 students taking IB1. One class has 9 students (because some dropped out) and my class has 14. (Everyone takes the same classes except for Biology and Physics so basically I am with the 13 other people for most of my classes)

Our school is semestered (which sucks!) so we have 4 teachers right now. In average, we have 9 teachers

What do you mean when you say its semestered? All schools have semesters as far as i know

What do you mean when you say its semestered? All schools have semesters as far as i know

Semester as in one academic school year is divided into two main report cards. The first semester you have 4 classes (around that) and then the next semester you have different classes, along with different teachers. And I have the same 4 classes everyday.

Not necessarily, well I know here, in Canada, there are other schools that are non-semestered. That means they have 8 classes all through the year (not being divided in two).

• Like 1

My high school is one of the larger ones in the area and it is "fed" by students from several junior highs, not including the many, many kids who waive in from out-of-district (such as myself), and the exchange students. Our class sizes can be rather large, but that is probably due more to my state's budget cuts on education and teacher benefits. (I could rant forever about the stupidity of this decision.) My smallest class is about 20 kids. The largest is close to 30.

Small classes seems to be a bit concerning, but I guess it has its advantages. My school is doing IB for the first time this coming school year, and so far we have about 20 students doing the diploma. So about 10 people in one class; 5 or less for the smaller ones. The school is trying to keep numbers small.

We have IB in a very bad neighborhood here in Modesto to bring that school's test scores up. :D Class sizes differ. My ITGS class has about 10 people. Chemistry has 17 or 18, I think. And History has around 25. But the rest are over 30. And they are thinking about cutting IB. It's ridiculous.

Semester as in one academic school year is divided into two main report cards. The first semester you have 4 classes (around that) and then the next semester you have different classes, along with different teachers. And I have the same 4 classes everyday. Not necessarily, well I know here, in Canada, there are other schools that are non-semestered. That means they have 8 classes all through the year (not being divided in two).

Oh okay... My school isn't semestered that way :P We just have two semesters, with two separate reports, but everything stays the same in each semester.

And are educational budget cuts that big a problem in the US?? The government should stop parenting rogue nations and start focusing on its own

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have 14 mates in my class. I'm glad cause here in Poland it's not a lot, usually there are about 25-32 people in each class...

Oh yeah, and my grade has 50 people. I don't count the ones who don't do IB (my school is not internatonal what starts to piss me off...).

Edited by Hanadai

• 4 weeks later...

Well the school year's finally started and with 20 new students bringing the class size to 65, I must say I prefer small classes.

For example, my english lit class has only 8 kids. Its really interactive and discussions can reach a more high level.

Chemistry when we do mix SL and HL is like 20 kids (really bad) but only 10 with HL students, so the HL only classes are productive.

Bio is taught in a lecture style thing with a ppt, so class size isn't that big a deal as yet.

And the others are all eh, especially french (20 freaking kids getting bored out of their mind for 1.5 hours, you can imagine the rest)