IGCSE?

ananya.agrawal95

Hey guys,

Is anyone here doing the IGCSE or an IGCSE+MYP combo for their 9/10 grades like me?

What IGCSE subjects have you guys taken and how are you'll finding it.

Also, if you want any help in the following, lemme know.

English Lit/Lang

Math Extended

Biology Extnd

Chemistry Extnd

Physics Extnd

French Extnd

Geography

Computer Studies

We've got this forum for ourselves, now lets keep it going :D

I did GCSEs (so not iGCSEs, but similar). I'd suggest there are many other forums if you want to chat to GCSE/iGCSE students like the student room where you'll find loads of people in the same situation :) To be honest though GCSE/iGCSE tends to be well-taught unlike the IB, so there's not so much need for trying to find help online! I never had to look for extra help until IB.

Anyway I did English Lit, Lang, Maths, German, Spanish, Latin, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Drama and History for GCSE.

my school offers IGCSE too! I was in a special class though and the students in this special class only take 4 IGCSE subjects for some complicated reason. the normal classes have to take the normal number (8?) of IGCSE subjects though.

I myself took Add Maths, Chem, Bio and English 2nd lang.

Oh thats a LOT of languages.

And I think its more of there is less information available on the IB than on the (I)GCSE that causes the problem.

Languages had no real coursework component so I thought I'd make the most of it XD I hate coursework! Also at least one language was compulsory. The IB thinks it invented that but it really didn't haha. Really it's only German and Spanish which were proper languages though - not sure Latin exactly qualifies!! It was more or less all translation, no speaking or writing required. Thank god, because I found it hard enough interpreting the grammar, I'm not sure I could have generated all the declensions and mysterious nominative/accusative etc. stuff myself! I would've taken an hour to write a sentence.

I did IGCSE for years 10/11 and it was pretty good. Currently I'm in the last year of IB and I'm looking at 38 points (minus bonuses).

The subjects I did included Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I'd recommend taking them all just so you have an idea as which is/are your strongest science subject(s).

Doing Physics HL and Chemistry HL with no problem at all in IB, getting the best grades possible.

ICT is a good subject to take if you were considering ITGS in IB but you really don't need it. ITGS is that easy especially in SL.

On a less serious note, don't take IGCSE Art unless you were serious about it... I ended up putting more effort into it than any other subject.

I feel stupid after seeing howmany languages other people study :dash:

But yeah, studing all three sciences is a great idea to find your strengths and weaknesses. Even if you dont want to do all three sciences separately, you can do the coordinated science (double award) or combined sciences (really easy).

I thought I sucked at physics due to a science teacher till MYP 3 that was unable to teach physics properly. It was only in the IGCSE when I had a new physics teacher that I realized im not as bad at it as I thought