Holiday destinations after IB

LSW

I'm planning on booking a holiday as an incentive to work productively throughout the IB. I've been saving and would like to go to Majorca, Ibiza, Mallaga or Zante once exams are over. Though my parents trust me, they seem to think these places encourage nothing but violence and debauchery. I just wanted to get other people's opinions on this, have any of you been? Are these places overrated? Any alternatives?

• Like 2

I'm planning on booking a holiday as an incentive to work productively throughout the IB. I've been saving and would like to go to Majorca, Ibiza, Mallaga or Zante once exams are over. Though my parents trust me, they seem to think these places encourage nothing but violence and debauchery. I just wanted to get other people's opinions on this, have any of you been? Are these places overrated? Any alternatives?

It depends very much on your interests and what kind of holiday you enjoy! I've vacationed on Majorca and at Malaga, and these places are fine if you just want to relax, make friends, and have some sun and fun. But you might find it a lot more interesting to spend your holiday in a city such as Paris or Munich. There is so much to see and do in these cities that it's best to plan your activities in advance to make the maximum use of your stay.

Another idea you might consider is a cruise, in the west Mediterranean, among the Greek islands, or to the beautiful fiords of Norway. If you're sharing and would be content with a modest cabin, cruising can be very good value for money since almost everything is included in the price. And your 'hotel' moves around and visits someplace new every day!

London for one month and a half also Jordan :D

In mid-May our school is organizing a trip to London for students from MYP1 to DP1. A similar trip by 44 students last year was a great success (as were the school visits to Morocco, Paris and Berlin). Every day was packed with exciting activities, and the weather was generally sunny with only a couple of (very wet) English showers!

Edited by HiggsHunter

I'm from Spain, and I think the best place of the ones you mentioned is Mallorca. Beautiful island and perfect to relax and have a good time. I also recommend you other places in southern Spain such as Sevilla or the coast in Cadiz.

Wherever you decide to go, I think it's a great idea!

I went to Ibiza after my IB exams. There was certainly a lot of drinking and going out! Actually I don't think I was really awake during any of the days :blink: That was really my friends' preference and not mine, I just wanted to go and chill and have fun... which for me involves sun, sea, sand etc.! Not darkness, loads of alcohol and sweaty people in clubs. Although some mix of both is fine XD

Anyway, Ibiza is pretty trashy. If you want to find a decamped section of 'essex'-esque England, go for it. The impression I've been given is that Zante is similar, however I've never been to confirm that. They're both small 'party' islands.

Malaga is a nice place IMO, although I've only been once and to be honest have no distinctive memories of what I did, just that it was an alright place... and as for Mallorca, well = one of my favourite places! I really love Mallorca :D It's a beautiful island and unlike Ibiza has a lot of cultural integrity. Depending on where you go, small sections of it are mini-England/mini-Germany, but it's a big enough island that there're also loads of parts with just the Mallorquin and a bit less of a rubbishy atmosphere! Unlike Ibiza which truly is an invaded Balearic with very very few untainted sections. You kinda know somewhere is probably going to be grim when you spot your first Eddie/Old Man Name's Irish Pub in my opinion ahah.

If you want to do a city break, I'd honestly recommend Barcelona, I had a fantastic time there with my friends. Paris I found kinda dead. Also why go to France when you could go to Spain? XD Interrailing is also great fun but perhaps a bit of a big holiday. I remember after IB I could only persuade one of my friends that they also wanted to go interrailing... had to wait until I got to Uni before I found people suitably enthusiastic to want to come with me! I went over this past summer, had a great time :)

If you're a North American one of your best vacation choices should be either Mexico, Cuba, or the Dominican Republic. Save up $5 grand and hit up an all-inclusive 4-5 star resort for a month or two with some friends. Although you can't enjoy the culture and free roam of places such as Barcelona, it's the best for fattening up and getting 12+ hrs of sleep

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm more going for staycation this year in the uk.

Once my exams are over, I'm going to Carlisle for the weekend with my boyfriend and his family. Then I'm going to Wales with my family and meeting my nephew for the first time (my sister still lives in Sweden) and about 3 weeks later my boyfriend and I are going to Weymouth for a week to camp, all on our own.

And of course, at the beginning of september, we're going to sweden for a weekend to run tjejmilen, as we do every year.

I want to relax this summer, and have a nice and quiet summer just so I can recuperate from exams :)

Anyone else's holiday plans?

I want to relax this summer, and have a nice and quiet summer just so I can recuperate from exams :)

I've just returned home from a splendid week's Easter holiday, boating on the beautiful upper Saône river in France. This can be an ideal vacation for anyone seeking peace and relaxation after a hectic year of studies. You don't need a full navigation licence to pilot one of these boats on inland waterways - just a "carte de plaisance" which is available to anyone over 16.

post-86377-0-18363500-1334514475.jpg

I've just returned home from a splendid week's Easter holiday, boating on the beautiful upper Saône river in France. This can be an ideal vacation for anyone seeking peace and relaxation after a hectic year of studies. You don't need a full navigation licence to pilot one of these boats on inland waterways - just a "carte de plaisance" which is available to anyone over 16.

post-86377-0-18363500-1334514475.jpg

Wow, looks incredibly nice. Although seems like it would cost a fortune... I'm probably going to struggle paying for food while out camping... I have a couple of concerts lined up and a party too. But I'll be making the most out of London for as little as possible. And of course enjoying euro 2012 :)

• Like 1

Wow, looks incredibly nice. Although seems like it would cost a fortune... I'm probably going to struggle paying for food while out camping... I have a couple of concerts lined up and a party too. But I'll be making the most out of London for as little as possible. And of course enjoying euro 2012 :)

Sounds good! Camping can be fun, too, as long as the weather is OK. But unless you actually prefer the open air, you can often find a simple but comfortable auberge in France for little more than the price of a campsite.