Which HL and SL courses should I take for medicine and becoming a doctor?

Nami

Hi guys! Ok I have this really important question for IB. If you want to go into medicine and be a doctor, what subjects do you have to take at HL? I'm thinking of taking BIO HL and CHEM HL i'm taking MATH SL. I don't know about ENGLISH and FRENCH What do I need to take at HL? Also I haven't realy done chem much because right now i'm going in pre IB and don't know how it'll be. Also how hard is CHemistry HL and any tips that will help get good marks? Thank you so much. :)

Guest AnishJ27

NO! Don't do it!

You definitely do not need to HL sciences to get into medicine or become a doctor, I personally am taking HL Bio and SL Chem as my sciences (bio is my stronger sibject)

I know this will work because my brother is now in Medicine becoming a neurologist and he took one hl science and one sl, IB basically being an all rounded program allows you to enter any program with ease, so I suggest if you dont want to struggle with all the work and fear that you might not do well, do what I and my brother before me did! You'll be fine :) and a lot less stressed (of course that is relative IB terms :P)

• Like 1

It depends a lot on where you want to study. Im also planning to go into medicine so you can look at my subjects if you want.

For the USA, you don't really need anything per se, but chemistry/bio and math subjects are recommended. You also need SAT 2 subject tests in one science and math.

In the UK, chem HL is a prerequisite common to most universities. Most recommend Bio HL and at least Math SL, but my friends with Math HL find it a lot easier to do SAT 2 math, the BMAT/UKCAT etc.

If you are applying in India, (or norway/sweden from what i've read over here) you need all three sciences at HL as well as math HL. Its pretty demanding, but india's entrance exams have an acceptance rate lower than the most selective medical school in the USA.

While you can get off with applying with one science SL, its probably avoidable as you want to make your application as strong as possible. Also, try and take a subject in group three that is familiar to you so it won't be as time consuming as starting a subject from scratch.

• Like 1

Definitely take Biology HL and Chemistry HL. Also, I advise you to take Maths SL - HL will be too much work and universities don't appreciate studies. It doesn't really matter what other language you take for HL. Anything else is mostly up to you, however, I'd advise you to take Latin, as it would prove useful. However, if it's not offered by your school, no biggy :)

If applying to the UK then Chemistry HL is mandatory in almost every university. Biology HL will be useful because it teaches you some basic anatomy that you'll cover in university anyway, but SL is acceptable too. Math at least at SL, don't bother with HL if you know you'll struggle and studies is too easy. They also require English A at least at SL to prove that you can speak it fluently. Even if you don't apply to the UK or choose to apply to the USA and take Biology and Chemistry at HL they will recognize that and see that you took the hardest sciences and might give you an offer based on that achievement.

well !! .... i have the same query @ananya ... all subjects at HL !! won't it be too tough ... actually i'm moving from cbse to IB in 10th ...

From what one college counsellor told me, most IB students take two sciences and math HL in the IB. They then do a gap year where they study the 3rd science and prepare for the indian medical exam, i think its called CET.

Alternatively, you do two sciences HL, one science SL and math HL and then still do the gap year route. Its upto howmuch you want to do a humanities and if you can manage so much science.

For me its not a big deal cos I wanna study medicine abroad so im not gonna bother with physics in the IB.

I want to study medicine as well. I am taking all the three sciences, because the university I am applying to will otherwise reject. I have to take bio and chem at hl and physics and math at sl. It will be good if you take math sl and not studies. And the languages dont matter that much.

Edited by claudika94
  • Like 1

Just remember, math studies, while not bad, can adversely affect your application, especially if all the other applicants have Math SL/HL/Further.

Additionally, try and take options in the science subjects that will complement medical training later to make life easier (Further human physiology.) Psychology is a group 3 that can complement biology's neurology chapter quite well.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I heard from people in the year above me that Chemistry isn't that hard however if you're taking two sciences at HL it would be quite tough and demanding. Really depends on where you want to go for med school so I'll recommend you to email the universities you're interested in for the math option. Cheers :)

• 7 years later...
On 3/25/2012 at 9:41 AM, ananya.agrawal95 said:

It depends a lot on where you want to study. Im also planning to go into medicine so you can look at my subjects if you want.

For the USA, you don't really need anything per se, but chemistry/bio and math subjects are recommended. You also need SAT 2 subject tests in one science and math.

In the UK, chem HL is a prerequisite common to most universities. Most recommend Bio HL and at least Math SL, but my friends with Math HL find it a lot easier to do SAT 2 math, the BMAT/UKCAT etc.

If you are applying in India, (or norway/sweden from what i've read over here) you need all three sciences at HL as well as math HL. Its pretty demanding, but india's entrance exams have an acceptance rate lower than the most selective medical school in the USA.

While you can get off with applying with one science SL, its probably avoidable as you want to make your application as strong as possible. Also, try and take a subject in group three that is familiar to you so it won't be as time consuming as starting a subject from scratch.

I plan on taking French B SL, Math AI SL, Chem SL, Bio HL, Psych HL, and English literature and language HL
Will I be able to apply for a course to do with medicine in the United States?

• 1 month later...

Hi I want to get into med school and am taking chemistry and economics at HL. Bio HL is not a prerequisite for the universities here, so you only need chemistry HL and either bio OR physics HL. Im not too sure whether to take physics or bio HL as physics HL is easier in IB, as Ill def do better in physics than bio, but im scared the universities will favor someone who took HL bio.

• 1 month later...

Hi! Can someone help me decide on my subjects. I want to go into medicine in Europe and the UK, so I need one or two sciences HL, or one science and one Math HL. My school has removed the option of Math AI HL, so I can't take that. What subjects should I choose in HL, other than English Lang&Lit HL? 

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I everyone, I am starting diploma programme next year for IB. I want to take my medical school in the USA, I want to be sure that my subjects I am choosing aren't wrong: I am going to be taking bio HL, math SL, Business Management and Psychology HL. Is it required to have studied chemistry? Because otherwise I wanted to continue which this type of course and if required I will eventually get a test to confirm if I can be accepted? Do you think that this plan will be functional or is it better to decide a course now which has also chemistry?