Essay problem: just CANT link answer to Q

Fani

Hi everyone!

I'm a history HL student and apparantly I constantly fail to link the answer to the question.

Although I do analysis (according to my teacher) I use lots of irrelevant info and write too much about things that arent of major importance.

So I can't get over a 12-13.

Any tips so I can link my answer more to the question?

Make sure you write the question properly and at the end of every paragraph write how what you've said is relevant to the question. That way, as you write you'll know you have to link it to the question so you shouldn't go off on a tangent.

So yea, it is possible. Just focus on actually answering the question. It may seem obvious but it's helpful.

Hi everyone!

I'm a history HL student and apparantly I constantly fail to link the answer to the question.

Although I do analysis (according to my teacher) I use lots of irrelevant info and write too much about things that arent of major importance.

So I can't get over a 12-13.

Any tips so I can link my answer more to the question?

One technique that may help you keep your answers focussed is to make a list of the most important points before you start to write. Refer to the list as you compose your answers, and drop any ideas or events that don't relate to your list.

Hey,

I am also a History student and used to have a very similar problem. What I did, is after every idea that I wrote, I would look back at it and see how much it has to do with the question at hand and my thesis?

Is the sentence strenghthening my position?

Is it providing a counterargument?

Is it showing a different perspective?

Is it an analysis of a historical fact?

If you do not think that your idea/sentence answers any of the above, you should probably remove it.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to do this a LOT. The two things I did to minimise it were to a. proofread what I wrote at the end of every paragraph, and make sure that at the very least the beginning and end of the paragraph directly and explicitly link to the topic, as well as a couple of references in the body; and b. pick topics that are very specifically argumentative (unfortunately this features a high degree of luck).