Help developing Maths IA topic

BJD

I have chosen my topic for my Maths Studies IA and I would like to base it around McDonald's, whether the increased McDonald's stores have increased overweight in the London area, I may be more specific with London area, I may solely look at one or two boroughs of London, however I do want to discuss whether it is a good idea, what I can do to get data as I have tried to look but some of the information I have been given to me, I don't know what to do with them so please let me know what you all think!

BJD

The idea sounds fine but, as mentioned above, where would you get the data for weight? You would need to find time periods where there were different numbers of McD stores and then get the "average" weight of London during the same time period.

P.S. What I said sounds like you need to throw the year in as another variable but you can avoid that :)

It sounds interesting. Where would you get the data of the weight of people over a certain period of time?

The idea sounds fine but, as mentioned above, where would you get the data for weight? You would need to find time periods where there were different numbers of McD stores and then get the "average" weight of London during the same time period.

P.S. What I said sounds like you need to throw the year in as another variable but you can avoid that :)

I have checked online with a certain borough about weight gain however it is just for school children - maybe that is a good thing because I can just look at that, however the data only gives me percentages which is what I am unsure about how I will use it in my IA

Percentages of what? It's actually better than your data will end up being for a specific age group, helps remove the variable of age affecting the weight also.

You could use percentages but I don't know what the percentages are of. They can't simply be a % without having a "total" to take the % of...

Percentages of what? It's actually better than your data will end up being for a specific age group, helps remove the variable of age affecting the weight also.

You could use percentages but I don't know what the percentages are of. They can't simply be a % without having a "total" to take the % of...

I just looked at the .pdf file and it is actually a view on overweight people in England and the percentages it gives me are the percentages of men and women who are classified as obese in said year, and they have one pdf file for each year

As long as you have a good number of years (I'd say 5-10) and have the data for the # of McD's in the same year also you could easily compare the 2.

Just treat the %s as the quantified data. Having them already as a % keeps your data normalized instead of a silly fraction and all this other stuff.