Sign in to follow this  

Osmosis lab hypothesis question/help!

Could you tell me how my hypothesis sounds? Any unnecessary info/too much? Or not specific enough? Etc.. Ty! (PS. my teacher said you could have 2 hypothesis so i made two)

If taro specimens are placed in a corn syrup solution which has a lower concentration of solute outside the taro cells than inside the cells (hypertonic solution), then the masses of the taro specimens will increase because water will move through the selectively permeable membranes of the taro cells from an area of low solute concentration outside the cell to an area of higher solute concentration inside the cell (along the concentration gradient) in a process called osmosis.

If taro specimens are placed in a corn syrup solution which has a higher concentration of solute outside the taro cells than inside the cells (hypotonic solution), then the masses of the taro specimens will decrease because water will move through the selectively permeable membranes of the taro cells from an area of low solute concentration outside the cell to an area of higher solute concentration inside the cell (along the concentration gradient) in a process called osmosis.