doing Pearson's for IA

tixi.13 <3

ok, so i'm worried about sounding completely stupid, but i'm doing my IA for Studies at the moment, and was going through my notes on how to do Pearson's, and realised how confusing they are.

For the IA, is there anythng else we have to do besides making the contingency table, writing out the formula to show working and then calculating 'r'? I know you can do something regarding line of best fit, but at the moment i'm not sure whether i need to bother with that.

An answer(s) would be really helpful! Thanks! :)

Yes, and it says: "In developing their projects, students should make use of mathematics learned as part of the course. The level of sophistication of the mathematics should be similar to that suggested by the syllabus. It is not expected that students produce work that is outside the mathematical studies SL syllabus, and they are not penalized if they produce such work."

The use of regression lines and the calculation of chi-squared values are included in the syllabus.

http://davidmlane.com/hyperstat/A51911.html

That might help, it's the formula and is very well laid out for you.

Just incase you don't know, the E looking things (greek letter capital sigma) stand for summations. So that's like total of X or total of Y etc.

The Sigma XY is the sum of XY, not the sum of X times the sum of Y.

N is the number of data points you have too.

Oh, Sigma X2 is the sum of X2 not the (sum of X)2 as well. If you have anymore questions just keep posting here :P