English EE question

ItsEnchanting

I had a hard time picking my topic for my EE. My choice was between Visual Arts and English, I chose English because I feel I'm more passionate when it comes to literature.

I'm also very passionate about the novelist Nicholas Sparks. I wanted to base my EE on him but I don't know what question to put, and my supervisor is really unsupportive of this so I need as much help as possible. I know I'm able to achieve this, but I need help in choosing a question.

I am not sure what exactly we need to do in an English EE. Is it just comparing and contrasting his novels and how the represent certain things or???

I was thinking I wanted to analyze how he balances romance and tragedies through out his novels. any ideas???

You should certainly go for a subject and writer about whom you are passionate! Why is your supervisor unsupportive?

You can very well do the English EE by analysing some literary aspect of a single modern best-selling novel, or on several novels. You should phrase the title as a specific research question, such as "In what ways are romance and tragedy balanced in the works of Nicholas Sparks?" And before starting your analysis you should explain briefly in your introduction why you think the question is significant.

I agree with HiggsHunter. Even I am doing my EE in English and since, I am passionate about Pride and Prejudice, I have based my topic on it. I feel that your choice of topic is amazing as you can really write a lot on that particular aspect of Nicholas Spark's books. I have read almost every book of his. While analyzing, I feel you can even bring out that he stands out because rather than following the conventional path of most romantic stories where there is always an happy ending, his stories usually end in sorrow, yet portrays everlasting love even in death or loss.

I hope my opinion helps you. :)

I think your supervisor might be unsupportive because Nicholas Sparks is not considered "good literature". I suggest you do more respected writers because you can find a lot more papers to include as criticisms in your EE. I did mine on Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion, both by Jane Austen, and there was a lot of research available.