May 08 Case Study

Hey we just got our case study and i was hoping we could discuss it and share our predicted question.. Teachers are smart but they are in the end humans they can only think to a certain extent, but if we discussed the expected question and shared them then there is a chance that we would actually get some questions that are on the test.

SO ...

let't go :D

• 3 weeks later...

I've only just seen this thread. We don't have our case study yet, my teacher said he's going to give it after the mocks, so I'd love to discuss it then. If you can post it online, you'd be a great help to the rest of the B&Mers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sup,

Dudes, what I did was i printed off the b+m syllabus and the organix case study, layed them next to each other, and slowly read through the casestudy and noted every single thing in it that was relevant to any of the topics/subtopics in the syllabus... This was very helpful but you will notice that just about every sentence is relevant... the benefit of this technique however is that you will be prepared for the exam with all the RELEVANT theory in mind. I Often tend to just dribble on answers to case studies, just bull****ting my way through, and not really including much actual THEORY, i still get good marks (cuz I am a master bull****ter ^^) but when it comes to the exams I think I may need to take things more seriously... maybe this will be helpful to you aswell :P

later, watever

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys my business and management class tried to develop some questions but it's kinda hard cuz there arent many numbers in the case study so we assume that the question will not be about numbers (or very little chance). any of u found it hard to develop some kind of questions also?

oh boy do i have questions for you guys , i will post them hopefully tom. they are good questions.

as for the numbers they will give u external ones

our teachers says that probably they will ask for a break even analysis in paper 1 since the case says that they used to work on full capacity

gd luck yalll and see u tom.

oh boy do i have questions for you guys , i will post them hopefully tom. they are good questions.

as for the numbers they will give u external ones

our teachers says that probably they will ask for a break even analysis in paper 1 since the case says that they used to work on full capacity

gd luck yalll and see u tom.

well im a bit confused cuz with the case study there are no real significant numbers that can be used for break even analysis. our class develop some questions that is more of a discussion and analysis type of question, we tried to try n develop some kind of break even or cash flow by making the numbers ourselves but it's quite hard. if u can develop some kind of break even question, please put it here im just curious

thx

well im a bit confused cuz with the case study there are no real significant numbers that can be used for break even analysis. our class develop some questions that is more of a discussion and analysis type of question, we tried to try n develop some kind of break even or cash flow by making the numbers ourselves but it's quite hard. if u can develop some kind of break even question, please put it here im just curious

thx

Yeah, we might get separate numbers in the exam, that we havent seen.

Here is a possible SWOT analysis of Organix!

Strengths

1) Deed of partnership clarifies roles, authorities and responsibilities in the business and allows for specialization by the two partners.

2) Have "organic" status and can therefore charge premium pricing in a niche market as demand is price inelastic.

3) Leadership styles - Max tends to have democratic leadership style probably gained through his experience as a HR manager which can be motivating to subordinates

4) Wide product portfolio spreads risk in any one line and increases economies of scale.

5) Chef at restaurant has good public relations and high profile thereby increasing awareness of Organix name.

6) Forward thinking leaders such as Max - considers motivation shown by his desire to introduce flexible working practices, carry out market research etc.

7) Creation of Organix as a brand name ( strong USP) strengthens its reputation as a socially responsible business as reflected in its mission statement

8/Reliance on own supplies for the restaurant and the shop and thus independent from other suppliers and problems that might be experienced

Weaknesses

1) Either partner can break partnership if they disagree on objectives which as a family business can be worse than in other firms.

2) Conflict between the two partners in terms business objectives and routine operations.

3) Difficulty to make financial forecasts because of the fluctuation of prices due to Supply and demand factors.

4) Leadership styles - Terry is risk averse and has an autocratic leadership style which leads to demotivation of subordinates.

5) Low wages, low morale, low loyalty and high turnover of staff reflect low motivation as shown by the falling quality and falling productivity which in turn reduces the potential profitability of the business and possibly long term survival.

6) Highly geared and difficult to raise finance for achieving the business objective of expansion.

7) Made a loss in 2006 yet poor management accounting systems in place causing poor accountability.

8/ The existing business objective to expand in different lines of business activities might bring distraction from the core competences of the company.

9/ The family brand name shared by the different lines of business might have negative impact if one of the product lines experience some kind of failure

Opportunities

1) Increasing interest in organic products could allow for diversification through increased product lines to meet growing demand.

2) Availability of land for extension reduces increased costs of production through increased economies of scale allowing business to achieve objectives

3) Further expansion through increased capital gained by changing business ownership from a partnership to a private limited company.

4/ Increasing consumer awareness of food sources and processes ensures high and stable prices for organic products

5/ Brand name loyalty generates more sales and increase in consumer base

6/ Existing contacts with media can be used in a focused way to increase sales and profits

7/ The holiday cottages expansion plan is promising due to the increased urbanization of modern society

Threats

1) Supermarkets are lobbying for reduction of the high standards needed to achieve organic status which would increase the level of competition and drive down prices.

2) Increased complaints leading to declining reputation is leading to falling capacity utilization thereby making it more difficult to break even.

3/ Economic climate might affect sales in times of a slowdown of the economy as the demand for organic products is relatively income elastic

4/Distributors for their produce and their image and quality control standards might affect the brand name of Organix and might raise the price of their produce to customers thus decreasing sales and profitability

5/ Can also affect consumer brand name loyalty as it is a family brand name and a failure of one part of the business can have an impact on the rest with a family brand

6/ Media presence can also have a negative impact if a failure attracts too much media attention.

7/ Bank's unwillingness to loan additional funds because of the high gearing might deter other potential investors from considering investing in Organix.

possible motivation theories you can use are:

1. Increase pay FW Taylor (must take into account that the company is highly geared)

2. Then you can oppose that discussing Herzberg's theory that money is only a satisfier, however its not a motivator

3. They must decrease the staff turnover, this will improve the sense of love and belonging (Maslow)

4. You can link the leadership style of Terry, as his leadership style does not agree at all with Mayo's thoery (The Hawthorne effect)

Hope this helps!

• 5 months later...
I am re taking the B&M HL in November 2008. I have a question. I have a hard copy of the question paper (may 2008 HL)..so I cannot take upload it here....But I can give out the questions...that came...if interested....do let me know...I will contribute towards...

can i hv a look of those? do u have the mark scheme as well?