Art Interview

Dimitri

So, my art interview is coming up real soon and I have NOOO social skills and Im terrified by the thought of talking to people. :eek: Because of this, I want to be prepared for my interview. My teacher isnt really doing a very good job of this, so can anyone tell me what kinds of things I will be asked or be expected to know? That would really help. Thanks! :clap:

The interview really isn't that bad. Although it seems awful having to talk to a stranger for 20 minutes or so about your artwork it's really not that scary.

When you come in, your interviewer will begin with small talk. Things like what your name is, your theme, etc. Then you will just talk about your work. You can talk about it anyway you want: chronologically, by theme or design, etc.

During your presentation of your work and after you are done, they'll ask you some questions. But they're not very tough. They're things like:

- What was successful or unsuccessful about this piece?

- How have you experimented or tried new things?

- How have you grown since you first started this course?

- How does your theme relate to yourself as a person?

- What made you choose ________ as a theme, symbol, choice, etc?

- Would you change anything about this piece if you could do it again?

- How did Artist X inspire you, and how did you use it in your work?

Just really generic, open-ended questions. Just answer them honestly, you'll know all the answers. If you need a second to think, that's no big deal. Just pause, collect your thoughts, and speak clearly, and try not to sound like a nervous wreck.

At the end of it you might just make small talk, like what you want to do for university, how much you like art, etc.

Good luck! You got this (Y)

• Like 1

I'd like to add something but about interviews in general

Before you go in to talk to the person breathe deeply so you can calm down a bit. It's no good feeling nervous on top of trying to think about what you want to say.

Also, fake confidence if you have to, nervousness shows and more often than not if you're really nervous you'll stumble over your words too much .

Speak slowly aswell because you want the interviewer to understand what you're saying right? He isn't going to run away :D

As Glau-ski has said, if you need to think about something... think about it :P

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll walk out feeling like a champion ^_^

• Like 1

Thanks for that. It really helps. My only problem there is that I DONT HAVE A THEME!!!! :headchop:

Iv been thinking about a theme since i started and our teacher told us that we would naturally have a theme without trying, but I really dont see one with my work.

Thanks for that. It really helps. My only problem there is that I DONT HAVE A THEME!!!! :headchop:

Iv been thinking about a theme since i started and our teacher told us that we would naturally have a theme without trying, but I really dont see one with my work.

Well you're going to need some sort of theme. Try to find something common in your works, even if it is something obscure. Just don't do what I did and pick something random and dumb (my theme was "birds" :rofl:XD) The only thing that saved my grade was a lot of experimentation and 3-D work along with paintings and drawings and stuff. Lay out all of your work in front of you and see what's common to most of them (it doesn't have to be all of them, and if you have more than the minimum number you can omit some of them if that's the case). Seriously, try to come up with something, even if it's something common like "love" or "identity." You won't score well if you don't have a theme.

If you don't have a theme as far as subject matter goes, there's still probably something linking your pieces. Maybe a medium or technique you really like or a color you use a lot.

Also if you're nervous it might help to have a mock interview with a friend, someone you're comfortable with.

Lastly, the advice my teacher gave us (exams tomorrow oh god) is to basically answer the questions before they're asked. If something is likely to come up in the interview, then touch on it before the examiner asks it so you're not caught by surprise.

YEAAAAAH!!

The interview just ended!!!! :v:

It wasnt that awfully bad. Considering that I didnt break down in tears and my examiner asked me another question whenever I froze up.

Im happy with how I did.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. It really helped!