Wanting to start a club!

Sam :)

I've been wanting to start a club since freshman year, and I'm a junior now. I don't know what I want the club to be about, and I don't really care; I just want to try something new! Any ideas for clubs that are sort of different? My school already has all of the basics. Any ideas will help.. I love history, science, acting, music, running... lots of things! Suggestions please? :)

I don't know quite which clubs should be considered basic, so I'll just list most of the ones that I know are offered at our school for Primary, MYP and DP students:

Volleyball, Mosaic, Badminton, Sailing, Netball, Tae Kwon Do, Athletics & Footing, Card making, Choir, Football, Visual Art, Swimming, Books, Basketball, Cricket, Indian cookery, Tennis, Sewing, Multisports, Pottery, French, German, Mandarin, Japanese, Robotics, Positive thinking, Multimedia, Art & Craft, Cookery, Dance, Volleyball, Gymnastics, Writing, Technology, Drama, Origami, Book making, Climbing, Karate, Amnesty International, Band, Table tennis, Yoga, Golf, Rugby, Goalkeeper training, Maths (competitions), Circuit training, Model United Nations/GIN (Academic simulation), Cross country, Water skiing, Philosophy, Akido, Chess.

Because skiing is an obligatory part of the school curriculum, there is no additional club for this sport, although several additional ski outings and competitions are organised during the season.

There is quite strong competition to join the more popular clubs, such as sailing. So at a given time before the start of each term online booking is opened using Doodle, and then it is first come, first served!

If possible, try to run a club that a) you, and others, are passionate about and b) benefits the school community/wider community in some way or another. The most succesful clubs are the ones with the motiavated, passionate leaders, so ultimately do something that you love and will be dedicated to! Good luck :)

Do you already have a debating club? If not, that would probably be a good one.

An excellent suggestion, and one that avoids the risk of accident associated with some sports club activities. It's not uncommon to see a few students here hobbling around on crutches towards the end of the skiing season. And I've just been informed that the black belt leader of the karate club at our school (who is also the MYP Coordinator!) has injured his Achilles' heel and will be out of action for two months.

Music could be one if you're interested. For example a club where people agree to listen to a certain album between meetings, and discuss it at the next session, sharing their opinions on it etc.

Spotify provides a free, legal way to do that.

A club like this would be a good way to introduce people to music that they're not familiar with. Encourage people to choose genres and albums that aren't really popular among your average high school student. Jazz, extreme metal, 80's original rap, etc.

Come to think of it, I wish I had started this club myself a year ago, would have been a great way to get easy CAS :D

Edited by Jyrgen

You can start a club that does art work and then when you collect enough decent drawings you can make a small museum

A few years ago I helped organize the exhibition of some art works at our school, which aroused a fair amount of interest. But starting and running an art club could be quite a major undertaking that might be very time-consuming. If it's for a CAS project, I would suggest offering your services to an existing art club rather than starting up a new one. Other local clubs that might appreciate the assistance of a student to organize a show could be modeling, crafts, photography, music, dance, tae kwon-do, or even classic cars.

post-86377-0-41474800-1333478935.jpg