TOK Essay Prescribed Titles 2013?

Joachim T

They're doing something differently this year with the TOK titles. Instead of releasing 10 titles right away for the November and May candidates (like the Nov 2011 May 2012, Nov 2010 May 2011, etc) they are splitting it up for the November 2012 and May 2013 students. They released six titles for the November students (I feel bad for them, all of them are quite awful :( ) but just for that session alone. They will release six more titles for the May 2013 students later in the year that will be exclusively for them.

If you can't find it online it probably means it hasn't been released yet (or someone hasn't gotten unlazy enough to upload them yet XD )

• Like 1

Ask your teacher again. They are supposed to be available on the OCC (ask him/her to search around there).

In that case is there any problem with a teacher telling a student the titles now? Or is it explicitly stated that they are confidential at present?

Ask your teacher again. They are supposed to be available on the OCC (ask him/her to search around there).

In that case is there any problem with a teacher telling a student the titles now? Or is it explicitly stated that they are confidential at present?

I believe teachers are free to give their students the essay titles at any time.

• Like 1

I believe teachers are free to give their students the essay titles at any time.

I don't think they are, due to the fact IB isn't so fond of letting students be able to prepare or work on things for a long period of time. This also goes for the extended where IB suggests one only use 40 hours (I believe) to complete it.

Thanks for all the answers very helpful. ^_^

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Brace yourself! The TOK essays are coming!

1. In what ways may disagreement aid the pursuit of knowledge in the natural and human sciences?

2. “Only seeing general patterns can give us knowledge. Only seeing particular examples can give us understanding.” To what extent do you agree with these assertions?

3. “The possession of knowledge carries an ethical responsibility.” Evaluate this claim.

4. The traditional TOK diagram indicates four ways of knowing. Propose the inclusion of a fifth way of knowing selected from intuition, memory or imagination, and explore the knowledge issues it may raise in two areas of knowledge.

5. “That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” (Christopher Hitchens). Do you agree?

6. Can we know when to trust our emotions in the pursuit of knowledge? Consider history and one other area of knowledge.

• Like 5

hey these are the titles for MAY 2013

1. In what ways may disagreement aid the pursuit of knowledge in the natural and human sciences?

2. “Only seeing general patterns can give us knowledge. Only seeing particular examples can give us understanding.” To what extent do you agree with these assertions?

3. “The possession of knowledge carries an ethical responsibility.” Evaluate this claim.

4. The traditional TOK diagram indicates four ways of knowing. Propose the inclusion of a fifth way of knowing selected from intuition, memory or imagination, and explore the knowledge issues it may raise in two areas of knowledge.

5. “That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” (Christopher Hitchens). Do you agree?

6. Can we know when to trust our emotions in the pursuit of knowledge? Consider history and one other area of knowledge.

I hope this helps :)

TOK 2013.pdf

• Like 1

" 1. In what ways may disagreement aid the pursuit of knowledge in the natural and human sciences? "

Any ideas? :) Is it because we can get different kinds of knowledge in the sciences that both can be found to be useful to society? For instance different models that both are said to be true, but to a certain limit?

" 1. In what ways may disagreement aid the pursuit of knowledge in the natural and human sciences? "

Any ideas? :) Is it because we can get different kinds of knowledge in the sciences that both can be found to be useful to society? For instance different models that both are said to be true, but to a certain limit?

I think it's about those models, that are both useful and both seem to be true, but oppose each other (Keynes vs. Neoclassical in Economics, String Theory vs Quantum in Physics). When there are multiple expert campus representing different theories they try their best to find faults in opponents theory, to fix all the mistakes/gaps in their theory, etc. Hence, disagreement leads to competition, which greatly improves those different models or creates an unified ultimate model. To conclude disagreement leads to competition, which aid in pursuit of knowledge.

At least that's how I understand it. I also think it'd be better to take more examples from human sciences, because there is more disagreement than in experimental.

I won't pick this topic, because I have only Biology SL from experimental sc., and I'm not particularly good at it, but still seems like a pretty good topic.