UBC Vancouver or Okanagan?

rFumachi

Congratulations!

It may not be very important for your undergraduate studies, but important UBC facilities such as TRIUMF are located at the Vancouver campus. It rains quite a lot in Vancouver, but the climate is milder than at Okanagan, which can be quite hot in summer and cold in winter!

Go to the Vancouver Campus. The main campus is in vancouver and this is where all the facilities are. Moreover, the okanagan campus only offers certain courses. If you wanted to change courses in your second year and if the campus does offer them you would have to come to Van anyways. Kelowna is a beautiful, warm, lake-side city. However, it's much smaller than Vancouver and choices are limited in terms of amenities. + just in case you didn't know okanagan campus is many hours away from vancouver (interior bc). Weather can be odd in vancouver sometimes but it is bearable. BTW don't buy expensive umbrellas, trust me, when it rains the wind will easily break them.

Edited by Summer Glau
please don't use text speak.

VanCity!

Care to explain why instead of posting a two word answer? -_-

In terms of reputation you're better off at the Vancouver campus. It's been around longer than Okanagan as Okanagan is pretty new. Also you need higher marks to get into the Vancouver campus for most programs so the Vancouver group will very likely be a stronger class overall.

Okanagan is a bit further from Vancouver so you may miss out on the city life a bit. But it's a personal choice. You'll get a degree from UBC either way. If you ever get a chance to visit both campuses that will help you out a lot, if not, try to talk to people who went to Vancouver/Okanagan and hear what they have to say.

You'll get a degree from UBC either way.

I just read that if you graduate from UBC-O, your diploma will mention something like "UBC, Kelowna, Canada" Is that true? Because I was actually planning on going to Okanagan because I feel more comfortable with a smaller campus, but if there is a difference in the diplomas then I agree with you the reputation of the Vancouver campus is way higher.

• Like 1

Although I recommended the Vancouver campus for science, that may be partly because I am biased towards particle physics. If your interest is in astrophysics, I should mention that there is a world-class NRC radio astronomy facility located just south of Penticton, quite near the Okanagan campus (UBCO).

I first visited this facility in August 1960, when it was called the White Falls Radio Observatory and had just inaugurated a 26-metre telescope that was being used to search around the 21cm hydrogen line for signs of extraterrestrial intelligence. Seven years later, it was used in conjunction with an antenna near Toronto to pioneer the technique of very long baseline interferometry - a major milestone in the field.

The facility is now called the Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory (DRAO). The 26m antenna is still operational, and the DRAO has now expanded enormously, running a seven-antenna synthesis array as well as an important solar radio flux monitor. The UBCO offers an undergraduate physics and astronomy programme and has close links with the DRAO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRAO

• Like 1

• 1 month later...