Modern Analytical vs Medecine and Drugs

miss mel

My class will NOT stop arguing about the options we get to choose. We have a split between Modern Analytical Chemistry and Medecine and Drugs. We have half a class of physics students (half unwilling). So what i want to know is what options people have enjoyed the most and found easiest.

Muchos gracias

I thought Medicines and Drugs was more interesting myself. Generally the exams are usually easy for it, although sometimes they're tricky (the year I did the exams it was actually an unusually hard section compared to practice papers!). But to be honest you don't need somebody to teach you the options, you can learn them yourself; in some schools it's even expected that you self-teach options. If one option seems too tedious for you, you can always ignore it and just do the one you like best.

• 1 month later...

My class will NOT stop arguing about the options we get to choose. We have a split between Modern Analytical Chemistry and Medecine and Drugs. We have half a class of physics students (half unwilling). So what i want to know is what options people have enjoyed the most and found easiest.

Muchos gracias

I'm not too late to save you from Sandwich's madness! Madness I tell you!!!

You're a physics student, and Option A is moderately geared towards it. The calculations are fairly simple and all you need to know is to recognize and apply analytical techniques. It is SO easy; I was the only student in my cohort to choose it though. Option A involves matching numbers, finding functional group combinations, and just knowing how different types of chromatography and spectroscopy work. The exams was pretty easy on option A. I admit there were some things that were a bit difficult to comprehend from the textbooks, but there are online IB videos that can guide you through, let's say spin-spin coupling and whatnot.

Did you also know it's the shortest option? Yeah, that's right.

I haven't studied Medicine and Drugs so this post might be a bit biased :P

As another IB-er:

I would say if you are good in organic, do med and drugs. Heard its a lot of organic. The thing is modern analytical without a teacher is pre tough, the 2 IB teahers I have come across did not recommend anyone to self-study since it is a tough unit. So, you are better off doing med. If neither of them interest you, you can choose food/industrial/biochem/environ (TRES EASY). You DON'T have to do an option that your school does at all. I did biochem (HL Bio) and we never learned that in case, so keep that in mind.

Apparently, the most related physics-y option is Industrial. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your advice! I will pass on your advice to the warring sides of my class :)

I did forgot to mention earlier that i'm a terrible physics student! So something more content based like Medecine and Drugs would probably be better for me, although i'm half sold on this easy sounding analytical stuff. If im going to be learning physics anyways, may as well put it to some use. Two birds with one stone and whatnot :)