Is it encouraged to use the first person when writing an internal assessment for Math Studies?

Optional: a list of different graphs and ways to apply statistics would help greatly.

By the way, I'm doing the dependence of birth order on GPAs of high schoolers

Thank you!

Edited by ItsSabrinaHey
What's up with the big font?

NO! NEVER, and I mean NEVER, write in first person when it comes to important IB papers! That includes IAs and EAs. Art EEs and TOK essays are somewhat an exception, but other then that, don't wright in first person. It seems unprofessional and you could get deducted a point or two. (Sorry for flipping out, but that whole personal pronouns things has been beaten into our heads)

graphs:

bar

line

histogram

stats:

average and standard deviation

range?

I usually go with a bar graph and apply average and sd to the data. sd allows you to see the range as well as error. but it's a long process: you have to have all your averages calculated, then go back to your raw data and find the sd for each individual set(like 1 trial, then the 2nd trail, ect.) then put all that stuff in your graph. excel(well, i have open office) does a good job at shortening your time since it does have the function feature but you still have to show at least 1 math equation in your data and processing(to show work).

Edited by miso soup

Yeah, that's what I thought, but I've also been given advice to make it personal and blah blah blah.

Like, here:http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/13797-a-detailed-guide-by-criteria/page__fromsearch__1

And this person seemed like they knew what they were talking about.

I'm just confused. And how am I supposed to define my methods of research without using "I"? Would that be weird or not?

Nothing in the rubric suggests which POV to use. Nor does any of the rubric suggest you will be graded about your grammar/english/etc. There is one section that grades your commitment to the project. I would use "I" in the introduction as well as your description of methods because there is no better commitment than you blatantly stating you did it.

Perfect example: "I am interested in the correlation between blah and blah because I <insert some reason here>"

It shows you have interest on a personal level.

"I performed a Chi-Squared on the data I collected to quantify whether or not the variables are independent"

^That shows you were committed enough to: 1) Collect data, 2) Run tests on the data, 3) YOU knew you need to run THAT test in order to prove correlation.

This sentence alone (assuming you did, of course, back it up with the test...) gave you points in 3 sections of the rubric.

I agree with Miso Soup (I love this stuff...) for basically every paper EXCEPT the sciences and math.

P.S. I've seen Math IAs written in first person receive 7s.

I would avoid bar graphs personally, but you can do as Miso Soup suggested. You can really stick to line graphs. Find a linear regression line and a pearson's correlation coefficient and plot them onto the graph. Then run a statistical analysis. Chi-Squared is the obvious one directly from your book/curriculum. There are other statistical tests you can research as well such as the T-Test and P-Test. Note: If you research the P-Test avoid the calculus related P-Test for convergence; it is not the same.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...