Extended Essay Physics

pinkopal

I'm sure you could write an interesting essay, but making very precise measurements of decay curves could involve some practical difficulties unless your school lab has excellent instrumentation.

See, for example:

http://arxiv.org/pdf...ics/0306081.pdf

Perhaps you should discuss that aspect with your physics teacher before committing to the topic?

Yes, it would be wise to check that your lab has suitable equipment before you decide to do a Physics EE on a damped pendulum. Just building and calibrating an accurate, sensitive and frictionless transducer to input the pendulum position to your computer could prove quite challenging, considering that the whole EE is only supposed to involve about 40 hours of work!

Bear in mind that even for an experimental EE you do have to explore the theory relating the parameters that you measure. In the case of a damped pendulum, even after making simplifying assumptions you would have to solve the equation of motion iteratively. What kind of damping would you apply to the pendulum, and how do you plan to derive the damping coefficient to compute decay curves to compare with your measured ones?

I checked with my teacher and she said that I can use a rotary motion sensor for the damped pendulum. I was interested in analyzing the energy loss of a viscous damped pendulum system by looking at the exponential decay of the pendulum and try to find some generalizations