Am I picking the right courses for my future career?

rocketman730

So, I want to be a politician when I'm older. I signed up for HL math, physics, and history, and SL English, Spanish, and Chemistry. I have always been a kid who was avidly interested in mathematics, and taking physics this year has been extremely fun. I sincerely enjoy these classes, and I score the among the highest grades in my school. Now, I talked to my guidance counselor, and she recommended HL english and history. HL english isn't really that different from SL right? But, since I'm taking History, she said that I had freedom to take the courses I desire too. Is it possible to have feedback from former IB students on how these courses went? I'm just nervous because I've heard HL math was "the kiss of death", even from my current history teacher. If anyone can advise me it would be extremely appreciated!

Edited by rocketman730

Do you have any other subject choices? If so, I don't know why you would be taking two sciences. Forget math, (which is already a big deal) it is almost unanimous that higher level physics is the hardest subject to take.

You're going to be in IB1 next year right? I don't know about anyone else, but there is a significant change from Pre-IB/MYP to the IB years. If you are going into politics, I'd try go lighter on the experimental sciences. From what I can tell, you have selected a very difficult course combination. If there are other humanities you can take, I strongly suggest you take them over physics HL.

HL english isn't very different from SL, there is just a bit more work and nothing is really more difficult. Also, if you can't switch courses, at least try to switch the course levels around. Math and physics are extremely difficult at the higher level; I cannot stress that enough.

• Like 2

I would recommend taking English at HL and dropping one (if not both) of Maths and Physics down to SL. If you want to go in to politics, as you say, then English is probably the most relevant subject in terms of analysis and written and oratory skills. Maths and Physics are really quite irrelevant. Definetly History and English at HL, and if possible, choose another group 3 subject. Both physics and chem is quite overboard unless you absolutely love/need science.

The first half of junior year we get a philosophy course from our TOK teacher, then we get a broken year of TOK. We have Psychology offered, but I'm disappointed that my school doesn't offer a Political science course. Even an economics course would be helpful. From what I've heard, Math was harder than physics. I really enjoy these classes, math and the sciences. You make good points, but these classes are and always have been my strong points. I'm not even considering art/theatre/music, so I guess that leaves Psych. Thanks for your advice!

HL History would definitely be useful, as HL Math (it will be useful to you no matter where you go and the better and deeper in math you go, the better your thinking processes will go as well). Unfortunately, this is not so for physics, as it is focused more on explaining how and why natural phenomena work, instead of humanities and social phenomena (there is too much specific work you do and not as much creative thinking as you would do in maths).

If nothing else, take extracurricular courses and do plenty of public speaking. Get used to being politically active in your community. ** CAS and oral presentations.

Bah. I've rambled enough.

• Like 1

You'll need drama... you'll need to learn how to keep a straight face while lying to the public :teehee:

Try the subjects in my signature (first spoiler) because that's what I had in mind when I wanted to do politics and law.

But politics isn't like a career in the sense that from uni you become a politician. It's a vocational type thing.

(i didn't know my school offered politics until quite late -_-)

• 2 weeks later...