Option: EM Waves help!

DropBoite

Hello, this is my first time here, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules or anything.

I know this might be a bit much to ask but could anyone please assist me with the 'Double Slit experiment' I don't understand some things about it.

For one, I cannot understand the geometrical models that they provide, what am I supposed to do with those models and will that appear in the exams are two questions that come to mind.

ncvkp.jpg

The attached image has the diagram, what is 'y' and what do I make of SUCH a complicated diagram? :(

Edited by DropBoite

Yes, questions about Young's famous double-slit experiment are quite frequently asked in Paper 3/Option G. For example, given the wavelength of the light, the separation of the slits, and the distance to the screen, you might be asked to calculate the values of y for which the interference pattern has minima or maxima. The simple formula for the separation of the interference fringes is given in your Physics Data Booklet.