Sign in to follow this  

Maths Extended Essay on Calculus

I think that I might want to do an EE in Mathematics (considering that I'm an HL student getting a 7)

I've always loved calculus and found it very interesting, but I honestly have no idea how to get to a good RQ.

Can IB Survival provide me with some help, or do I need to find a narrower question or topic before asking for advice?

according to me. i find it very difficult to write an essay of 4000 words on mathematics.

anyways. calculus is a very broad topic. you may want to decide what topic you want to take up in calculus.

i suggest you take some section of calculus that you can write alot and not lose your interest in the topic. :):D

As the posts above said you need to find a narrower topic under calculus.

You could think about optimization problems something which I believe you find in your everyday life, optimization in packaging, building houses etc.

Calculus is a really interesting area that has lots of applications in real life. Look for something area that interests you, and then think of what exactly you would like to investigate about it, that way you can come up with an RQ.

An EE in math in challenging but can be very interesting. All the best if you decide to do your EE in math.

Perhaps you could check out for differential equations since they are used in multiple engineering fields. Optimization is also a great idea, but rather simple. Maybe you could find a complex optimization problem and solve it. IB loves problem/solution math EE.

Thanks a lot for your help.

I'm currently considering a few optimization problems and also looking at something to do with modelling card games (perhaps a game theoretic model of "Bull****") or something to do with Vedic Mathematics and why it works.