How do you revise for English papers?

Guest Mohammed Rahman

Guest Mohammed Rahman

Hi,

Well, what it says in the title; how do you effectively revise for English papers, of which paper 1 is a commentary and paper 2 is an essay on the novels.

I know people say "revise themes and blah blah blah" but I mean, is that it? Or how? Do I just read all the books again? I feel like I'm not learning anything knew to gaining knowledge while sitting down and doing English work.

Thanks in advance

:)

That's part of the beauty of English, you don't actually really learn anything over the whole 2 years and it requires very very little effort for revision! :P

Just connect things up by theme and learn some quotes for Paper 2 - you can re-read books if you want but to be honest you're probably better off looking at things like characters, themes, setting and other such things which pop up in past papers instead, because ultimately those are the things you'll mention in the exam and it's more efficient to concentrate on literary stuff than just re-read the whole thing. Especially as you need that time to revise for difficult subjects! For Paper 1, you should already have (hopefully) aced your essay writing style and there really is zero revision you can do for it.

You're better off spending your revision time on subjects with a lot of content e.g. HL History or where you'll benefit from doing lots of past papers e.g. SL Maths.

Guest Loco Mo Mo

That's part of the beauty of English, you don't actually really learn anything over the whole 2 years and it requires very very little effort for revision! :P

Just connect things up by theme and learn some quotes for Paper 2 - you can re-read books if you want but to be honest you're probably better off looking at things like characters, themes, setting and other such things which pop up in past papers instead, because ultimately those are the things you'll mention in the exam and it's more efficient to concentrate on literary stuff than just re-read the whole thing. Especially as you need that time to revise for difficult subjects! For Paper 1, you should already have (hopefully) aced your essay writing style and there really is zero revision you can do for it.

You're better off spending your revision time on subjects with a lot of content e.g. HL History or where you'll benefit from doing lots of past papers e.g. SL Maths.

Thanks :) I guess I'm going to spend the time on History revision instead. But it's sooooo boring :(

• 4 weeks later...

Really? No revision!? :o

I'm freaking out, because I'm aiming for a 7. I know I can do it, if you know.... I don't freak out. My P1 is in a week. I got a 7 on my mocks, but then again, it's subjective right? My teacher really likes me, what if she's biased? Sometimes I convince myself that I'm brilliant, then sometimes other students intimidate me with their superflous vocabulary and crazy confidence.

I never studied for english in 2 years. I sort of learnt up literary terms though. Please tell me there's SOMETHING I can do to give my self the best shot possible at a 7!

Edited by ro_1293x