How should I draw Born-Haber cycle diagrams for Gibbs energy?

DropBoite

Hello all! So toward the end of the chapter energetics, we have a calculation for Lattice enthalpy (apologiess!!) where it is calculated for NaCl, I'm sure this is a commonly used example in most text books, I hope you can relate :).

my question is how do I draw the energy cycle/ born-haber cycle as the IB chem guide presents a different way of drawing it, distinctly so and the Pearson HL textbook shows the diagram on an enthalpy chart! What do I do?

Edited by DropBoite

I only use the Pearson book and Course Companion, and I don't recall an energy cycle in Gibbs free energy for the ionic compound NaCl. Are you sure you aren't talking about lattice enthalpy?

Anyway, the Pearson textbook follows the criteria outlined in the syllabus; following the diagrams from that textbook won't do you harm. If you want my opinion, if its not on the CC or the Pearson, you probably won't need to know how to draw a supposedly existing Gibbs free energy diagram.

Indeed, never heard of Born-Haber cycle diagrams for Gibbs Free Energy.

Aren't they two separate entities?

Born-Haber cycles illustrate the formation of an ionic compound and the steps necessary to achieve this.

Gibbs Free Energy just shows the spontaneity of a reaction