Computer Science DOSSIER

BenjoNi

hey everyone.... as you can see we are currently starting to work with our dossier for Computer Science. That's basically a program we have to make for someone to use it. Anyway I came here in hope that someone of you will have a good idea what program I should make I'm really out of ideas... (never had many actually XD) I had an idea of making a program that will calculate calories you intake and have meal plans for you and track your progress but I have found online that there are minimum 10 programs like that so yeah I'm not sure if I should make that.

If you have an idea please tell me and tell me fast by tomorrow latest... or tell me if this what I'm making can go trough...

Have you discussed this with your teacher? I should think that it would be rather difficult to come up with a seriously useful application (i.e., not a game or trivial task) for which several programs have not already been written. So if your approach and detailed implementation are original, don't worry too much that you may not be the first in the field.

Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door…

• 1 month later...

I'd recommend you pick a problem from your own life/ a friend's life that can be solved by using a computer programme. I'm really into yearbook/school magazine publishing, so I chose to do one which collects students' contact data and messages for the senior section of the yearbook. Students can also use it to submit articles if they like, and editors can search student details/messages by parameters and articles by genre, themes and tags. The intended user is my coeditor from my previous school.

My tip: Pick a problem you face in real life.The calorie counter thing wouldn't work, in my opinion, since there would be too many inaccuracies, although you may be able to fulfill the mastery by incorporating arrays, text files, etc. I think you should ask a teacher/department/shop/library where data is still collected and processed manually and ask them if they'd like help!

• 3 months later...

hi all i have a question can i make a pc-game for dossier ?

i am thinking about a 2d game and i have planed it out all ready, even started to work on some models

my teacher doesn't know if it will cover all the criteria. I am planing to be game developer one day so i want to do some thing that will be of use to me in future

thank you in advance

Yeah, I understand your doubt and as a developer I understand it. Even more, doing good game takes more time and skill than writing program. It needs skills in many fields as modelling physics of collisions, etc.

To be honest, I wanted to write dossier that was quite complex and was into criteria. After all, I wrote EXTREMALLY simple program which aims into fulfiling criteria. Why? Doing bigger one was pointless and was just a loss of time. The task that is before you is one of the tasks that you have to do.

Your task is not as nice as dossier is, because you do not have "Mastery Factors" that you can build project on. You have ambigious criteria which say that project must be complex yet it is not clear how.

Finally, it is why I wouldn't risk doing something big, because it may be just a loss of time if something smaller can be enough. It is rule of computer science: "Keep It Simple, Stupid."

• 1 month later...
Guest HayashiEsme

Just throw some ideas out on a piece of paper for inspiration. I find that even if I get loads of good suggestions, it doesn't help unless it comes from a genuine spark in my head.

I agree on the games thing. It's like Cambridge and how they're biased again pop music in their IGCSE Music paper. Most people end up playing classical as a result, but whatever gets you the score at the end of the day I guess (even though I'd beg to differ if I had my way)