Extended Essay Biology safety concerns HELP

Persymona

I decided to do my Extended Essay in Biology and I already have an idea that I really like:

What is the effect of cooking on the glucemic index of carrot?

The experiment is basically that I cook carrot for 0, 5, 10 and 15 minutes and then feed 10 girls and 10 boys with 100 g of carrot and check the difference in carrot glucemic index. The topic can be quite well connected to growing problem of obesity and to healthy diet but of course if anyone thinks that it is a simply stupid idea, please speak up.

The concerns that I am having regard safety rules as measuring of glucemic index requires measuring the level of glucose in the human blood. Testing relies on the usage of glucose meters for diabetics, it is not a dangerous method since millions of people use it every day. Of course all kinds of safety rules, such as using sterile lancets, sterile gloves, sterile test strips every time, would be applied. I would have a detailed instruction from a real paramedic about the usage and safety of the experiment. I can even take it one level higher and instruct tested people to take the measurements on their own so the only contact that anyone would have with internal fluids is with his own blood.

Do you think that it is to risky to do as an extended essay? Should I keep looking for some topic that does not concern humans in such direct way?

I will greatly appreciate any kind of help in that matter :)

Edited by Persymona

Unless you are going to hand out many glucose meters, I presume that the boys and girls would all be having their tests done at the same place? In that case, if you are nervous about liability issues, would it not be possible for you to have a nurse or qualified doctor's assistant take the blood samples for you?

It's glycaemic index by the way. Also I think it may well be a 50g not a 100g standard that is usually used - but I'm not 100% so perhaps you should check it out. You also haven't mentioned a positive control - usually some kind of reference food or just glucose - and will clearly need to think about the sorts of variables you might need to deal with. But I'm sure you will. Also that you have a biological basis for your experiment - why is it that you suspect cooking will affect what's going on? :P

I think this is a decent experiment and as it would (I assume) only involve a fingertip prick test, shouldn't need a professional to perform it. However the IB does have quite strict rules regarding bodily fluids, so I wouldn't be happy advising you with 100% confidence - it's only a slim chance, but the worst thing would be if it turns out they didn't accept it! You can actually check with the IBO whether it's alright or not via your IB Coordinator (technically). I suggest you visit them and explain what your problem is and ask them to contact the IB on your behalf. That way you can be entirely confident in what you're doing and not have to worry.

Well, I have already done research and it has been proven on many vegetables that the cooked version has a higher glycaemic index (btw thank you for the correction) than fresh vebetable so my experiment is just broadening the variable to several factors. When it comes to mass I think that it depends on further calculations but as I am at the stage of I have much choosing the topic I still have to learn about the methods. It does take only a fingertip test but I think I will try to inquire about it further any way. And actually I think that the same glucose meter can be used as the blood is tested through the strip and there is no contact between the fluid and the meter. Just lancets and strips have to be changed every time so I am able to perform it by myself. I really appreciate help, thanks a lot :)