Bilingual Diploma with 2 Languages A L&L

Hey guys I have recently switched my Language B (which I sucked in very much) to my second mother tongue German A L&L, however, to my surprise, I noticed that the language part of the syllabus was 100% overlapping with my English L&L course content, thus there was literally no need to revise anything from the so dreaded amount of workload I expected to catch up and work through so hardly.

The stuff we cover in my German A course are just pretty much a revision of what we were doing in my English A course, thus I was even thinking of translating my Written Tasks into German and submitting them(which I ofc did NOT do). So can I ask you fellow 2013 pals who are studying two language A L&L courses at the same time if I am doing this right or did I overlook any important details I did not notice in the rush of my overwhelming relief?

Compared to some friends of mine taking 2 Language A Literature courses this seems very unfair to them as this might also indicate that I don't need to revise twice in preparation to my exams as the language part (which makes up around 50% in both subjects) is pretty much the same in both English and German.

What do you think?

I'm taking french A1 HL and English A2 HL ... does this mean I also have the overlapping bilingual diploma?

From what I've noticed some of the matter is similar (stylistic devices) although the literary analysis is significantly different in both languages

I'm taking french A1 HL and English A2 HL ... does this mean I also have the overlapping bilingual diploma?

From what I've noticed some of the matter is similar (stylistic devices) although the literary analysis is significantly different in both languages

Yep you should get a bilingual diploma, Stanislaw :)

Also your experience isn't directly comparable as the course has changed for 2013 so people are able to effectively take what used to be their A1 language at an A2 level and not have to study any language at quite the same level as is required from the present A1 course. Doing the new course with Language A Literature & Language is similar to the old A2.

• 1 month later...

Also your experience isn't directly comparable as the course has changed for 2013 so people are able to effectively take what used to be their A1 language at an A2 level and not have to study any language at quite the same level as is required from the present A1 course. Doing the new course with Language A Literature & Language is similar to the old A2.

Can you elaborate on this bilingual diploma please?

I am getting a bilingual diploma through Canada's education system, but I didn't know IB recognized or discerned anything regarding the languages...

• 3 weeks later...

I have both English A literature and Norwegian A literature on higher level. Yes, they are absolutely 100% identical (if you take both as pure literature courses.) I don't see how this could be unfair at all, we study completely different books, and there is different grade boundaries. Of course, I will definitely agree that it is smoother to do two A courses than say chemistry and bio HL. However, doing two A Literature courses is basically the same as doing A1 and A2 in the old system, thus I definitely do not think people should consider it unfair. The workload is still heavy in the sense that you have to read many books but the great advantages are that you have the opportunity of picking up lots of knowledge about writing and analyzing in both classes, which have made me able to score 7s in both classes right now. So I would say keep going. According to the IB, if you do your A language in a language other than English or the language your IB examination is in, you will get a bilingual diploma, and of course if you do 2 A languages.-

Can you elaborate on this bilingual diploma please?

I am getting a bilingual diploma through Canada's education system, but I didn't know IB recognized or discerned anything regarding the languages...

I am taking the same thing as you! :D There are also some slight differences in essay and commentary writing.

Anywaysss, to answer your question..

There are three things a person may receive upon graduating the IB program,

• Certificate student get their certificates (obviously...)
  • Students who get their IB Diploma
  • Student who get their Bilingual IB Diploma.

The IB has changed since September 2011 so there are some slight differences in the requirements to acquire the IB Bilingual Diploma. Compare to the normal IB Diploma, the bilingual one is only rewarded to someone who is either:

• Studying two GROUP 1 courses, but in separate languages. (The candidate must receive an IB grade of a minimum of 3 to be awarded a credit)
  • Studying a GROUP 3 or a GROUP 4 subject but in a different language from the candidates mother tongue: their Language A course. (This person must also recieve a minimum of grade 3 to be credited).

If you would like more information, just browse this page from the IBO website: http://www.ibo.org/diploma/development/

Hopefully this helps! :