Bilingual diploma - exams 2013

Pepe

Hello everybody.

I am one of those 2013 exam students of misfortune. Why do I call it so? Because a lot of things have changed simultaneously with a lack of information both for teachers and students. Maybe only in my school I have such impression but ...whatever.

I was wondering about 2013 rules of receiving bilingual diploma.

Following those from 2011 and 2012 (http://handbooks.ibo.org/exist/rest/app/pub.xql?doc=d_0_dpyyy_vmx_1009_1_e&container=1∂=2&chapter=6) I will be awarded with this title - I take English B and Polish A but all other subjects I have are tought in English.

The only thing I found about 2013 rules after a very broad research was the following one:

"The dual language option for a bilingual diploma will be two courses from Group 1, each taken in a different language. Any combination of courses will be acceptable."

But unfortunately nothing about bilingualism when doing maths/history/geography in a language other than A one.

Can anybody help me answering to my doubts?

There is also one more things I want to ask about:

is it true that when I do not have English A course, I will have to take IELTS or other exams before applying to UK unis? Or is IB diploma a proof of my capability to study there?

Thank you in advance for all your answers!

Ah sorry. I wasn't trying to be picky I just thought that maybe you'd got it wrong and didn't have to worry! :P

Perhaps ask your IB Coordinator about if you'll get a bilingual diploma? I'm afraid I also do not entirely understand the vagaries of the new syllabus (or indeed why a new one was necessary as it's lost some of its rigour in my opinion). It's their job to know or if they don't, to find out for you.

As for the IELTS requirement I think this may depend on which University you apply to and you should consider contacting them? Although somebody else on IBS may have a better answer for you, as with many things related to University, it might be variable.

Thank you! As you mentioned, I would love to hear from somebody who finished the program and had English B. After changing Polish from HL to SL and English from L&L SL to B HL I am quite confused about everything connected with IB languages.

After further research I have found needed info which goes:

From September 2011 (examination 2013) a bilingual diploma will be defined as follows:

• A combination of any two group 1 courses in different languages, of which there are three possible subject options, each passed with a grade of 3 or above

• A group 3 or 4 subject taken in a language other than the candidate’s language A, passed with a grade of 3 or above

Although I am still wondering how English Unis look at English B or if they even care.