English EE Topic

Hailzter

I've decided that I want to write my extended essay on English. I was thinking of doing it on the novel Lolita by Vladmir Nabokov but was wondering whether it's too classic. I've been advised to stay away from the famous classics because they've already been analyzed to the core and it would be very difficult to incorporate anything new into them. So is Lolita too famous? Would you advise writing my EE on it? If not, can you please suggest some other books which would be eligible to write an EE on. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never heard of that novel. But I think you can only write an EE on it if it was written originally in English.

Well if you really want to you could write it about a classic, but you must find a good topic. A friend did her EE about Feminism in Pride and Prejudice. She has a predicted A. I would adivse you to talk with your supervisor (or if you don't have one yet with your English teacher)

I've heard from English teachers to stay away from famous texts (e.g. Shakespeare), but if you are able to look at Lolita from a different perspective, or compare it to another, less well-known text, I think it should be okay.

Don't forget, you can ask your supervisor about this - that's what they are there for!