Help with my courses! thankyou!

lily2014

I am deciding whether to take the former or the latter

Former: HL: Mandarin, Econ, Psych.

SL: Math, Literature, Bio

Latter:

HL: Mandarin, Econ, Bio

SL: Math, Lit, French Ab

I am not that of a math or science, but I find Biology interesting, but when it gets too deep I get kind of bored. And I think psychology is going to be interesting so I am deciding whether to take psychology hl over biology hl

And also I was wondering, how hard is French Abinitio, because I never encountered French before and it is like a whole new language to me.

Please leave comments pertaining to these courses and the work load and difficulty level.

Thankyou!

What you said about how you feel about psychology makes it seem like a better choice for you. If you think biology is boring when it gets too deep, I certainly wouldn't take it HL. So your subjects would be HL: Mandarin, Economics, Psychology and SL: Math, Literature, and Biology. SL biology probably compliments the biological aspects of psychology well, so I think that would be a good combo. Also, you are interested in biology at least some what and you already are taking another language, so french dosen´t seem necessary.

Biology HL actually doesn't really overlap at all psychology, unless you choose neurobiology as one of your options. Is HL econ mandatory? If not, then you should take HL Bio, Psych, and Mandarin.

If you have to take econ HL, then I suggest taking biology HL instead of psych HL since bio will keep your options more open in terms of uni prerequisites. Econ is not a hard HL subject; a 6 or 7 is realistic for most people.

The difficulty of Mandarin HL really only depends on how fluent you are. If you are fluent or very close to fluent, it will be easy. Even if you're fluent make sure you still know the IB criteria for languages so that you know how you're being marked and don't miss out on the easy 7 :P

How hard is Biology HL going to be?

Are there a lot of labs? I am really scared that I will fall behind in BIology HL and my grades will go down drastically.

But I like Biology and I like learning about life. Also, are the internal assessments, and the exams difficult? More straight forward questions or more critical thinking and requires you to really understand the concept and apply to real life? I heard in Bio SL you can bs to some extent and get the points, but it is impossible to BS in Bio HL and expect to get some points.

Also, I am not that of a fluent mandarin speaker, I can understand mostly what people say and speak intermediately. However, reading and writing is a problem for me, because I most of the times I use simple sentences, and I don't have a Chinese background. How hard do you think mandarin b HL will be? and does this course require a lot of oral work?

How hard is Biology HL going to be?

Are there a lot of labs? I am really scared that I will fall behind in BIology HL and my grades will go down drastically.

But I like Biology and I like learning about life. Also, are the internal assessments, and the exams difficult? More straight forward questions or more critical thinking and requires you to really understand the concept and apply to real life? I heard in Bio SL you can bs to some extent and get the points, but it is impossible to BS in Bio HL and expect to get some points.

Also, I am not that of a fluent mandarin speaker, I can understand mostly what people say and speak intermediately. However, reading and writing is a problem for me, because I most of the times I use simple sentences, and I don't have a Chinese background. How hard do you think mandarin b HL will be? and does this course require a lot of oral work?

Bio HL is an HL science at the end of the day, so it will be challenging. It has a very LARGE portion in terms of the content so if you have a weak memory/can't explain lots of concepts, it may be a bad choice. However, this is also subjective and depends on the situation. For ecaxmple, I can't learn a concept by heart. So if you ask me what respiration is, I know what it is, i know parts of the defination, i can explain it in my own words, BUT i will be unable to give the textbook defination.

All sciences have lots of labs, it just depends whihc science you find more interesting.

I am only starting my IB in august so i cant comment on the rest.

sorry for typoes, im typing it on my phone :P

I'm pretty sure that HL language B has a large reading element as you start to do literature properly. thus, mandarin B SL may be better. Over the summer you can maybe hire a private tutor. I did that for my french igcse for a month and my grade went from a low D to almost an A.