Sign in to follow this  

H.I Help

Im changing my HI topic at last minute..Would one of the followong be a good topic to investigate?

1. To what extent did WWI Cause the Great Depression in the United States
  2. To what extent as the Great Depression caused by the dust bowl?
  3. What effect did WWII have on the U.S Economy?
  4. Was the U.S Recovery after the great depression due more to the New Deal Policies or WWII?

Thanks

Well, i can't point you a topic, but topics 3 and 4 are definitely too broad for historical investigation. Believe me, 1500 words is not that much as it seems at the very beginning, so your topic must be really focused. I am not an expert in terms of Great Depression, but wasn't the dust bowl a bit later than the very beginning of Great Depression? Changing "cause" on "impact" may be better.

But it is still your own decision, just make the questions precise and focused.

Hmmm ... all of your questions seem kinda obvious and too broad. IB wants you to write about something controversial that causes an argument ... also, they don't want you to write on topics that are too well-covered, meaning that have too many books written on them ...

I'd advice you to maybe look for more controversial topics. Sorrrrrrrry, I'm not being much of a help here ;_;

Im changing my HI topic at last minute..Would one of the followong be a good topic to investigate?

1. To what extent did WWI Cause the Great Depression in the United States
  2. To what extent as the Great Depression caused by the dust bowl?
  3. What effect did WWII have on the U.S Economy?
  4. Was the U.S Recovery after the great depression due more to the New Deal Policies or WWII?

Thanks

I think that the first topic on your list is the most promising of the four. While there are innumerable theories about the causes of the Great Depression, they mostly concern confidence issues and policy decisions during the 1920s. So there is more scope for some original ideas in investigating the influence of events during WWI. However, I would suggest focusing on the possible influence of only one aspect of the war, such as the urbanization of rural America during this period.

Don't take my word on this but my teacher has tried to emphasize multiple times that the post-war treaties had absolutely nothing to do with the wall street crash/great depression! Someone linked both and he started shouting what a mistake he had made, he's a chief examiner. I am not sure whether that only relates to the treaties and reparations or also to the wwi, just make sure you know exactly that there is sufficient stuff to write about. and as suggested above and in other threads keep the topic extremely specific. focus on one aspect of your desired topic, otherwise it will be impossible to keep the HI below 2000 words without oversimplifying and generalising things