What if I don't turn in an Internal Assessment?

ToxicShotz

Hey guys!

I had a curious question. What would happen if I don't turn in an internal assessment (just for IB SL Math)? My teacher said that the only thing that would happen is my final math grade would decrease since IA's are 10%.

While that may be true, I'm not sure if it's a "requirement" to turn in an IA to still qualify for the full diploma.

Anyone familiar with the policy?

Thank you!

YES! Of course. Both SL and HL have 2 portfolios. YOU MUST SUBMIT ONE to be able to pass.

If you don't submit the other you get 0 on 10. Or something like that.

Edited by Guest

Although you should also remember that if you fail to get a sufficiently high IB score, you don't get the diploma and won't get a badge, sticker, shiny star or whatever little tasselly hat thing your school has decided to give you. You have to get over 28 in total plus over various minimum points for subjects (mostly your HLs) in order not to fail the diploma.

I don't really see why you'd not just do both. Even if you barely tried, you'd achieve more than not handing in either.

I don't think that's the right attitude to take with an IA. Yes, it may seem stupid, but it will negatively affect your IB mark and you certainly won't be getting a 7. Even if you're not good at math, just try your best, that's better than taking a zero. I also think it's a reflection on character. If a university found out that you only completed one of the two IA's they might look at that negatively and perhaps an indication of poor attitude/work ethic. In university (and real life frankly), you may not get the opportunity to "opt out" of assignments/tasks that you really don't want to do or don't have time for, so don't make this a habit in high school. If you're not willing to put the work into an IB class and do the best that you can, perhaps you shouldn't be in that particular class. That might mean dropping diploma.

Sorry if that sounded harsh, that's just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

This is somewhat late... But last year, someone didn't turn in 1 composition for IBH Music (three are required). In the end, the person ended up with a 4 on the exam (everyone else got a 6 or 7) and the eternal hate of the IB Music teacher.

It is always better to submit something than nothing, no matter how horrible it is. A 5/20 is always better than a 0/20.

• 2 years later...

So, if I fail my HL Math IA, will I still be able to get at least a 4 or 5 in the IB exam?

My school only required us to do 1, so that's okay, but I'm struggling even with this one.

My math is so bad, I'm starting to lose my sanity while trying to include math calculations into my IA, I think my Math IA is going to fail.

So what will happen to my overall grades then?

P.s Sorry for necrobumping this, I was googling this issue, and this was the first link that popped up

So, if I fail my HL Math IA, will I still be able to get at least a 4 or 5 in the IB exam?

My school only required us to do 1, so that's okay, but I'm struggling even with this one.

My math is so bad, I'm starting to lose my sanity while trying to include math calculations into my IA, I think my Math IA is going to fail.

P.s Sorry for necrobumping this, I was googling this issue, and this was the first link that popped up

The math IAs are different now. You only submit one "investigation" that you come up with yourself. It used to be two assigned tasks, one of which was a sort of mathematical investigation, and the other was mathematical modeling. You didn't have to come up with your own topics, as they were given to you by the IB. I think this stopped after 2013.

I believe the weight of the IA still counts as for what the old ones did, except now instead of 20% split over two IAs, it's 20% for one IA. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.

You can still pass overall with a poor IA, but you'll need to make up for it on the exams. You won't get a 6 or 7, and you probably won't get a 5 unless you do very well on the exam, but you can probably pass with a 4. This totally depends on how well you do on the exam.

The math IAs are different now. You only submit one "investigation" that you come up with yourself. It used to be two assigned tasks, one of which was a sort of mathematical investigation, and the other was mathematical modeling. You didn't have to come up with your own topics, as they were given to you by the IB. I think this stopped after 2013.

I believe the weight of the IA still counts as for what the old ones did, except now instead of 20% split over two IAs, it's 20% for one IA. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.

You can still pass overall with a poor IA, but you'll need to make up for it on the exams. You won't get a 6 or 7, and you probably won't get a 5 unless you do very well on the exam, but you can probably pass with a 4. This totally depends on how well you do on the exam.

So this means, the most I can get is a 5?

Is 20% that much? Wow, just wow

So this means, the most I can get is a 5?

Is 20% that much? Wow, just wow

I don't know, to be perfectly honest. I'm guessing it's possible to get like a 6, but that's going to require very high scores on each part of your exam, which is hard to do. A 7 probably isn't too likely. I'm guessing for a 7 to happen, the grade boundaries have to be insanely low and you have to do extremely well (like 90% on each paper) if you failed the IA. The reason I stated that is because you were asking if it was possible to get a 4 or 5, which is entirely possible (and probable).

Don't underestimate the weight of an IA :P It kept me from getting a 7 in SL math because I didn't take one of my two IAs (the modeling one) seriously enough and got like 13/20 on it. Just do as best you can!