Application to UK colleges (EU-students)

Jasmeena

Hi there! I'm IB1 and I was wondering... When is the due of sending our applications to UK colleges? I found some informations on Cambridge web-page about September 2012, but I'm not really sure what's that all about.

I'll finish IB (hopefully :D) in May 2013 and I'm noot really sure when should I start applying to those colleges and should I send some predicted grades or what?? PLEASE can I get some help of someone who is there now, has done that, or anyone who has any more informations???

I have Slovenian citizenship, so I'm considered to be an EU-student, in case someone is wondering.

Please help. It's kinda urgent :D

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/ - you apply through this site (UCAS) and you will also find a lot of information on there too.

Generally the application deadline is some time in January of the year you wish to start, but for many courses and some Universities (because they do it for every course) it may be in October of the year before. So if I wanted to start in 2012, I'd have applied October 2011. Oxford and Cambridge both require early applications and courses such as Veterinary Medicine, Medicine and I think Dentistry do too. This is mostly so they have enough time to get the interviews done. A lot of other courses don't need interviews and the majority of courses fall in the main UCAS deadline some time in January (in my hypothetical situation, January 2012).

You apply using your predicted grades, references from your school and also you must write a personal statement explaining why you should be selected to study that particular course. All this is probably explained on the UCAS site.

You're certainly still on course to apply for May 2013 :) Most people in the UK start getting their applications together at the beginning of the next academic year (so September).

Also in the UK, 'college' means a place for school kids aged 16-18. University is the right term for what you mean! :P

I've been on that page and there are loots of things I just don't understand, XD. I've asked for help from my IB supervisor but she was busy with the IB generation May 2012, and now with holidays I presume, so I didn't want to disturb her and now I'm heree :D... I'm really eager to get this thing trough so I'm doing a little research on my own. I want to apply to Cambridge, UCL, De Monfort University, Glasgow School of Art and some more... And well, since I'm not from UK I was worried about the whole application thing, and the interview ofc. because as you said, some universities ask for an interview, and I can't really come to UK. So I'll be doing that personal statement, right?? :). btw. I want to study architecture.

And, I can't seem to find data about that anywhere... On how many universities can I apply in UK? And, do you happen to know anything about student loans? :)

Haha sorry. I literally translated the Croatian word into English, and it is obviously wroong. My bad, my bad. :D

I want to apply to Cambridge, UCL, De Monfort University, Glasgow School of Art and some more... And well, since I'm not from UK I was worried about the whole application thing, and the interview ofc. because as you said, some universities ask for an interview, and I can't really come to UK. So I'll be doing that personal statement, right?? :). btw. I want to study architecture.

And, I can't seem to find data about that anywhere... On how many universities can I apply in UK? And, do you happen to know anything about student loans? :)

That's an er unusual mix of Universities! :P De Montfort is pretty local to me and let's just say it doesn't exactly have a great reputation. Whereas some of your other choices are the big guns - Cambridge, UCL - and are pretty prestigious. How exactly have you researched where to apply??

You should be able to apply to 5 Universities. If you're not in the country for them to interview you, they interview you using either somebody in your country who is linked to them, or just over the phone/skype/some way. They sort it out. I think Cambridge and UCL(?not sure) interview but probably the others won't. However you can check that on their websites. Also for Architecture it's quite likely you'll be expected to have some kind of portfolio of your work. I strongly recommend googling "____ architecture entry requirements" (where ____ is the university...) and seeing what is required by the places you want to apply to.

Student loans for international students, I'm not sure about. I only know about loans for domestic students, sorry. Maybe google that one, or somebody else here will be able to tell you as many of our ex-IB students on IBS are indeed EU citizens studying in the UK.

Also don't worry - it is the right word if you're talking about the american system, it's just a little more local thing ;)

Oh and on a final note, I don't know about anywhere else, but Architecture at UCL is kinda an intense course! Really really intense. You have to be pretty mega dedicated to do well!

I know it is unusual. But I have chosen all of them, ofc, based on their reputation and, well, in the end - my personal interest... I've looked up all their courses (I'm talking about De Montfort now) and I like it. I like the university. I really do. But ofc, Cambridge and UCL are my primary goal!!!! If I get into them... I just... I dont't know what to saaay, aw.

Umm, I've looked up The Times and it's list of architectural (I wrote down the world 'colleges') and their rankings. They made a rank list and, well, I printed out data about all of them (it's about 27 universities) and then chose my favourites :)

I've already googled everything about entry requirements about every university I'm interested in. I did that even before I started IB (you must have a goal in order to percieve it). So I know about the portofolio thing. I just wasn't sure about the interview.

That's the fact. I'm not an international student. I found that they give loans to EU students (they're in the same category as the domestic ones) but I'm just not sure when to apply and how. I wasn't very lucky with finding data about that obviously. I really hope someone here will be able to tell me sth more about it... That would be the main.. well source of finance if I go to UK to study...

And what about scholarships?

I knooow! That's exactly why I chose it... I've looked up everything about every university I'm interested in! I'm more than prepared to work hard and give my best... I just need a chance.

Edited by Jirashimosu
Reduce the amount of smilies you use, mate.

That's the fact. I'm not an international student :D I found that they give loans to EU students (they're in the same category as the domestic ones) but I'm just not sure when to apply and how. I wasn't very lucky with finding data about that obviously. I really hope someone here will be able to tell me sth more about it... That would be the main.. well source of finance if I go to UK to study...

And what about scholarships?

Well I meant international as in from a nation other than this one XD I know EU students can get loans but I'm not sure how you do it; I do it through a company called Student Finance England but I doubt you'll be able to as it wants to know your national insurance number and other UK-only things from the word go. You can try and have a look at that? I had a brief flick through and it doesn't immediately offer an EU option.

Scholarships in the UK to go to University are effectively non-existant. Perhaps you can find a local scholarship near where you live? My friend is Croatian and she said her town actually agreed to pay some of her University fees in exchange for what sounded like social work... it seemed weird but hey whatever works ahah. I also realise you're not currently living in Croatia but really I have no idea how the rest of the world's local governance choose to dispense cash so it's worth having a look. The only things really available are bursaries for people who come from poor backgrounds and sometimes private companies and groups will set up scholarships you can try and apply for. Formal University scholarships aren't around, so you'll have to do some research yourself.

Also re: De Montfort http://www.guardian....de-architecture according to this it's number 43! Different tables rank places differently, but I wouldn't start by aiming so low! Genuinely, based on what I know of its reputation and the people who go there as a domestic student living nearby.. I would reconsider it.

Then we have a misunderstanding here, XD. I see. Because all the uni web-pages say that the international students are the ones who aren't domestic or EU students :D. I'll try to find sth :D thanks!

I'm living in Croatia, it's just that I have double-citizenship (Croatian and Slovenian) sooo I can be both EU and NON EU student :D. Hooow did they agree to pay some of her fees? Can you ask her or sth? XD. I want that!

Woow. 43?? I haven't really seen that :o ... I still like that uni, no matter what the ranking looks like, but I guess I'll cross that from my list. Defintely. It gives the wrooong impression.. I'm really glad you told me this now. :) Thaanks!

Thaanks so much! I really like your response Gaby, XD. It gives me hoope. It's just that I can't really seem to find a way to apply for a loan :D

It has something to do with direct gov, as far as I can recall. I'd try looking on The Students Room, there will be more people able to help you. :)

• 1 month later...

I think UCAS or DirectGov can help you decide how you classify urself. But if you live in the EU then no they won't put you as international. Yes there are some financial aids for EU students, but very little or none for intl students. Can check with each uni as some provide their own financial aids, and yet the govt still provide some methinks. As long as you know how to browse around uni's websites, you'll find out about these sooner or later.