How do you write them?

Eartian

Ok, before anyone bites my head off, I want to say:

I AM NOT ASKING FOR ANY ANSWERS OR YOUR PORTFOLIOS

I am not even going to mention what portfolio I am doing.

EDIT// Actually, I changed my mind. I'm doing "Matrix Binomials." Hehe.

All I wanted to know was what is the format of a Math Portfolio?

I want to know how to write the coverpage, if it should be in MLA format, double spaced, etc. Our teacher was considerate enough NOT to tell us this.

I've heard there should be an introduction and conclusion. Is this basically a summary of what the portfolio is about?

I've searched all over the internet for the answer to this, and found nothing. I guess the people who know the answers are the people who have done these before.

Looking forward to your replies.

:blink:

Start with a clear aim and purpose of the portfolio task. Most portfolios have a part 1, 2, 3 etc. What I did was break each one down and label

Explain all the formulas, techniques, methods for what you do. But after you describe it once do not overdescribe it the second time in part 2, 3 etc.

1. State the given data and follow through with clear explanations of what you did (but not unnecessarily detailed) and a good representation of your results.

for the part 2. make sure you refer to the results and methods you used in part 1 to follow through.

Repeat for each of the parts. A reader should NOT have to refer to the assignment sheet to understand your IA. Know and understand the criteria, if it's a task 1, find the limits of the variables and push as far as you can. As you proceed show why a certain set of numbers work and why others won't/don't.

You don't really need a conclusion, you just need to fulfill the aim of the investigation and clearly state it at the end with a short demonstration of why it always works in general terms. For modelling tasks it's a little different, you have to find the limitations of your model and say why your model might be better than a model generated with a regression tool or w/e. Take a look at the exemplars on this site for more info.

Hope this helped

Edited by blindpet
  • Like 1

Actually, I think it would help if I told you what portfolio I'm doing... Hehe.

I'm doing the "Matrix Binomials" one.

Do you recommend the portfolio be typed or handwritten?

Typing gets tedious, especially with matrices.

I was asked to use different values of a variable to calculate several equations. I chose three variables: 1, 2, and 3. And since there were 6 different equations, that added up to 18 workings. Do I need to type those all? X(

I'm frustrated because I am asked to find a method to express M^n in terms of aX and bY.

I found this method algebraically.

I tested its validity by using different values, like I was asked.

But then it asks me to use an algebraic method to explain how I arrived to this statement!

Was I supposed to guess the method before, according to what I found when I substituted the variables?

:blink:

I wish I could take a look at the examples, but I'm not VIP. :D

Portfolios should ALWAYS be typed because that counts for the technology part of the rubric. Use equation editor to help along, or download the free trial of Rapid Pi, it's a free good software for making equations on word programs.

I didn't make a cover page/intro/conclusion for any of my portfolios and I did pretty good on them..printing 2 copies of your portfolios is enough of a waste of paper :blink: . My teacher provided an IB coverpage to staple to the front of our portfolios. As for the format, I had my name, date, title of portfolio and the top. Then I typed the question and bolded it and underneath each question, I provided my answer.

Oh yeah, and retype everything that's on the assignment sheet (data).

Edited by __inthemaking

I typed all of mine, use Mathtype or Microsoft Graphing to make the matrices, it's much easier.

You don't guess the method, you figure out after working through the whole task and then explain it and how you found it. You can easily use the algebraic method to explain how you found the method :blink: you are just applying laws of algebra to discover and explain the method used to find the general formula.

Most importantly, make sure which values of a and b your general formula holds true for, i'm guessing it's all real numbers :D but test teach number set using one example to see if the general formula works (show the general formula you've found as soon as possible, if the part 1/2/3 w/e allow you to so it makes sense, you can even guess the general formula early on and show that it's true in part 2 or 3 etc.)

• 2 years later...

approximately how long should the Portfolio be? ( I know it doesn't have to be unnecessarily long, but too short is not good either; what would be about a good range page wise? 7-9pgs?) and also, what is the difference between 'Now repeat the steps above for other values of p' and 'test the validity of the general statement'? aren't they pretty much the same thing?

approximately how long should the Portfolio be? ( I know it doesn't have to be unnecessarily long, but too short is not good either; what would be about a good range page wise? 7-9pgs?) and also, what is the difference between 'Now repeat the steps above for other values of p' and 'test the validity of the general statement'? aren't they pretty much the same thing?

I think that about 6 or 7 pages are enough, although having said that I know of people who did 10 pages. The thing is, if you go beyond what's required in terms of what is being asked, like if it's the linear equations IA for HL, and I extend my investigation into exploring four by four number systems, then I would get more marks, and coincidentally, the number of pages would also increase. I think that also, if you have an interest in the topics, then you're bound to write quite a lot (it's like with my HL portfolio....it really interests me!! Some people call me a bit of a nerd for saying that, but hey, so what if I am??!!! :) ) Also, you've made a good point by saying that there is no real value of pages, because it's not simply about quantity but the quality of the work that you produce.

Regarding your second question..yes I do think that they're pretty much the same thing, if by 'repeating the steps' you mean carrying out the process of testing the general statement.

Edited by Derek

I think that about 6 or 7 pages are enough, although having said that I know of people who did 10 pages. The thing is, if you go beyond what's required in terms of what is being asked, like if it's the linear equations IA for HL, and I extend my investigation into exploring four by four number systems, then I would get more marks, and coincidentally, the number of pages would also increase. I think that also, if you have an interest in the topics, then you're bound to write quite a lot (it's like with my HL portfolio....it really interests me!! Some people call me a bit of a nerd for saying that, but hey, so what if I am??!!! :) ) Also, you've made a good point by saying that there is no real value of pages, because it's not simply about quantity but the quality of the work that you produce.

Regarding your second question..yes I do think that they're pretty much the same thing, if by 'repeating the steps' you mean carrying out the process of testing the general statement.

I got 34 and 31 pages on my type I and type II, respectively. Amount of pages is not a problem, just as long as you get everything in there.

I think I mentioned that in my math portfolio tips thread.

Oh here:

A good portfolio should be 16-28 pages long

Based on my standard that is.

Btw that is for stellar numbers right? NO, they are different.

Now repeat the steps above for other values of p

This is done before you get the general statement Sn in terms of n and p. You are to find Sn in terms of n when p=6,x,y,z so that you can see the pattern and conclude the general statement Sn in terms of n and p.

test the validity of the general statement

This is done after you get the general statement Sn in terms of n and p. You are to give an informal proof of the general statement -- can be done in two ways: solving algebraically OR finding Sn for (an)other(s) value(s) of p using the general statement you have got.

The stellar numbers discussion may be continued in the respective thread.

Pfft, 16-28 pages? 30+ is where its at! :S (mine was 39).

Nah, just take as much space as you need to follow the investigation through thoroughly. :)

Well I honestly think 30+ pages is too much. Moreover for SL IAs. I only had 30 pages in my type 1 but again both of us and crypthon are doing HL so 30+ pages might be expected from us but I would say that 20 pages is already good :D

• Like 1