Family Members as supervisors?

My IB coordinator told me that I could have a family member sign my as supervisors of some of my activities, but I keep reading on these forums that it's not allowed.

So I'm confused. I have other supervisors for my activities, but it's more convenient for my parents to just sign them because I have lost touch with my other supervisors and I'd have to track them down somehow. Originally when doing the activities I was not planning on staying in IB so I never bothered with all the forms. =.=

These activities have other proof (official forms, photographs, etc) in case IB ever asks, but I don't want to get in trouble for having my parents sign. Any thoughts?

I got my mum to sign off my stuff but she has a different surname to me so it was easy :P

The only person who checks your portfolio IS your CAS coordinator, so if they say it's fine, go for it. In the unlikely event that your portfolio gets sent off to the IBO to be checked, maybe speak to them again, but to be honest the IBO hardly ever check CAS - one or two journals every 5 years or something like that. Get your mum or dad to do an illegible signature so it doesn't look like you have the same name. Or just do one yourself.

My mom has a different surname too, but I'm pretty sure the school knows my parents' names. We have to print the name and then sign. Oh well, thanks for your reply. :) I was just worried I was breaking some kind of unwritten rule.

Edited by SmilingAtLife:)

My mom has a different surname too, but I'm pretty sure the school knows my parents' names. We have to print the name and then sign. Oh well, thanks for your reply. :) I was just worried I was breaking some kind of unwritten rule.

Well the school aren't going to be validating it, your CAS coordinator is and they've already told you it's fine, no? :P

And interesting coincidence! Having 2 sets of names is both good and bad, I find. I used to get 2 sets of letters home from the school, one to my mum and one to my dad. I think they assumed they'd separated (but hadn't actually twigged that they were both down as living in the same house!).

Yeah, I'm just paranoid sometimes :)

My parents are from China... and Chinese women generally do not change their last names.

It's funny though, sometimes we get mail and phone calls addressed to/ asking for "Mr and Mrs *my mom's last name*, because people assume my parents have the same last name, but it's usually my mom who signs up for stuff and her name is the one that's in the phone book!

Also, every year, we get personal information sheets at school that we have to verify. One of the boxes says something like parents living together/parents married and it's never checked off, even though we correct it every year.

• 4 weeks later...

That's so strange. It was extremely clearly stated in my CAS diary that parents cannot sign for stuff - it must be a unbiased supervisor. I really believed it was IBO rule.

Even though, they don't even ask for a name in our diares, just a signature, so nobody really knows who wrote that signature(except that it can't be your classmate).

So these CAS hours aren't really sent to IBO? Could you fill me up with the rules about checking school's CAS or something like that?

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on your supervisor they may allow it under certain circumstances. My dad is the C.A.S. supervison at my school and never allows family members to sign off. It should say in your packet, and I believe it is an overall I.B. rule however, if your supervisor said it's ok, then I'd go witht hat answer.

I got an exception that allowed my mother to be my supervisor for one activity, but that was only because she's a professional personal trainer and I have a medical condition that limits my action options. So it's usually not allowed, but I doubt it would invalidate your CAS hours or anything if your coordinator has approved it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes well, only your CAS coordinator checks your CAS book and they simply send a "Yes/No" response on CAS to the IB for each student. The IB never looks at your portfolios or anything. So if your school is telling you that it is alright, there's no reason not to capitalise on that.