Calculating the uncertainty for average voltage

slimers7

I writing up the lab report for my IA and have encountered some confusion over the uncertainty business. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am using the mean voltage on this graph for my data. Since it is an average, and there is a maximum and minimum. How do I calculate this mean's uncertainty? Also, how many significant figures should I use?

2jeaiom.jpg

I writing up the lab report for my IA and have encountered some confusion over the uncertainty business. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am using the mean voltage on this graph for my data. Since it is an average, and there is a maximum and minimum. How do I calculate this mean's uncertainty? Also, how many significant figures should I use?

Are the fluctuations in your graph due to variations in the voltage being measured, or are they due to random errors in the measurement of a constant voltage?

I presume that the temperature of the wire was not being changed during the 9 seconds of the measurement, so the voltage fluctuations are due to noise, and the three levels in the graph are due to your measuring instrument having a resolution of 5mV.

So the uncertainty in the mean voltage is +-2.5mV due to this quantization, plus +-9.8mV (+-3 sd) for the mean calculated over 92 samples, plus the uncertainty in the calibration of the instrument (which you may be able to find from its specifications if you don't have a voltage standard with which to check it)

To make an accurate measurement of a voltage of the order of 37mV it would be better to use an instrument with much better resolution than 5mV, and to filter the noise or take many more samples. A typical inexpensive DVM has a resolution of 100uV.