Physics HL (how hard is it?)

Jasmeena

Yell-o!

Soo, I'm in IB1, and all my friends in IB2 have been scaring me and telling me that the MOCK exams they had were really hard and that they messed up everything... So I'm a biit scared now..

Any comments from people who have already done the IBDP who had Physics HL? I'm wondering about the final exams... Were they hard? How were they? Anything? XD

Thanks in advance :)

• Like 1

To put things into perspective, I have a friend who does Chemistry HL and Physics SL. She thinks Physics SL is harder than Chemistry HL, and she's very good in terms of academics (she's not struggling in Maths HL).

I would think that any practise with past papers would help, regardless. Just practise, practise, practise!

• Like 1

Paper 1 becomes quite easy, just do loads of past papers. You can find quite a lot of them online or ask your teacher.

It also helps to know the definition of each chapter in detail as sometimes the answers are VERY similar to each other. Especially definitions.

Thanks everyone! :) I guess I'll become BFF with the Questionbank :D

Paper 1 becomes quite easy, just do loads of past papers. You can find quite a lot of them online or ask your teacher.

It also helps to know the definition of each chapter in detail as sometimes the answers are VERY similar to each other. Especially definitions.

Beni, the definition of each chapter in details? You got me here. I'm confused :D

Basically look at definitions like Newton's laws and such. I've seen quite a few questions where you need to know the definition/formula in some detail. For example you might be asked what factor is considered constant when expressing F=Δp/Δt as F=ma.

I forgot to mention that being able to understand graphs well is also needed.

What book do you have? If you have Tsoskos, look at the many graphs.

I personally think it's only slightly challenging and tricky.

Paper 1 can be tricky, and as mentioned above, tips such as practicing past year papers and knowing your definitions helps a lot!

My teacher constantly reminds us about how easily it is to be fooled by the questions.

The gap between Physics SL and HL isn't that big as well in comparison to Chemistry SL and HL. My seniors or friends who are in IB2 taking Physics HL said that it was definitely much easier than taking Chemistry HL in comparison.

I don't think you'll have too much of a difficulty in Physics HL if you're determined and worked hard enough ^ ^ "

• Like 1

In my opinion I hate Tskos book .. it's just confusing .. but the nice thing about is the worked example quetions that will come in each and every year in the external IB exams !!

How could you hate Tsoskos? I think it's the best book! All the examples are amazingly explained and there is at least one milion of different tasks for me to solve :D It can be a bit confusing, some examples. But it's far the best book for Physics.

It's probably my most difficult subject, competing with Maths HL. However, if you study, you'll be absolutely fine (unlike Maths HL)

Mhm, you've scared me a bit now. But thaaanks, it'll come useful I believe :D

I personally think it's only slightly challenging and tricky.

Paper 1 can be tricky, and as mentioned above, tips such as practicing past year papers and knowing your definitions helps a lot!

My teacher constantly reminds us about how easily it is to be fooled by the questions.

The gap between Physics SL and HL isn't that big as well in comparison to Chemistry SL and HL. My seniors or friends who are in IB2 taking Physics HL said that it was definitely much easier than taking Chemistry HL in comparison.

I don't think you'll have too much of a difficulty in Physics HL if you're determined and worked hard enough ^ ^ "

Thanks a loot :). I've heard that chem is dificult in IB, but, well I don't have it so I'm not able to judge. But I believe you. I'll just go trough past phy exams and learn all hte definitions from the book :D