Question about Theatre PPP

ro_1293x

So I haven't really started working on my PPP because I though it would be the easiest so I shrugged it off 'til the end, now I'm not so sure because I've seen a few samples and it's obviously a lot longer than I thought and I'm really confused and my teacher is confusing me more.

My stimulus is The Crane Wife a Japanese Folktale. Really cute but sad story, but it gives me some really good themes to work off of like the importance of trust in love and relationships and greed as the greatest downfall for humanity (why else do we tear apart our planet?).

So even though the crane wife is originally a japanese story and the usage of a crane has a lot of signifigance to the japanese and the criteria specifically sort of mentions the important of the cultural social settings of the play... does that mean I have to make the play in a japanese style?

I'm confused because they want to see Creative interpreations but its already a story and I feel like i'm going to end up copying the story as my plot unless I can think of some crazy twist and sticking the the Japanese culture I won't want to change much about it, if you understand what I mean?

Would it not be possible to take the dea from the foltake (basically the plot) but approach in a completely different fashion, like in a modern way? Sorry if I sound unclear. Just sort of confused. Thank you!

it doesn't have to be on a Japanese genre , it could be on anything but make sure that the genre you pick is practical with that stimulus. You dont have to do the actual story , you can just do a play on the themes that are present on that story or just what you felt when you read the story ;) hope that was helpful, im also struggling with the PPP , im doing Hagia Sophia. My extended essay was on theatre too , what was your title?

Oh alright, thanks! I was wondering because the criteria has something about understanding cultural somethings... I forgot I'll check it out and quote it.

My extended essay was about the portrayal of feminism in the productions of rabindranath tagore's plays. Not a brilliantly deep idea, but it was interesting and fun and I have a feelin the examiner won't be very familiar with the plays :)

By the way do you know when the actual IB turn in date is for all the work for theatre is? All my stuff is due starting tuesday, its my TPP then IPP then PPP then RI but I'm really screwed because I haven't started the RI or PPP (apart from brainstorming) so I'm trying to figure out if my teacher's just giving us earlier dates so we finish our work.

Either way we're screwed because we started all our work too late making it so annoying to study for everythig else !

Hi, I have the same stimulus as you. And I was just wondering, are we supposed to use the story of The Crane Wife, or the song by The Decemberist, or the image where the song's lyrics are written as our stimulus? At this point I have worked with the story alone but I just want to make sure I don't mess with my PPP.

Here's the link that IBO has given to our drama teacher:

http://www.glogster.com/asleepwithcompasses/the-crane-wife-15-38-/g-6nq8d0lthqvjvn679plk7dh?old_view=True

Hi, I have the same stimulus as you. And I was just wondering, are we supposed to use the story of The Crane Wife, or the song by The Decemberist, or the image where the song's lyrics are written as our stimulus? At this point I have worked with the story alone but I just want to make sure I don't mess with my PPP.

Here's the link that IBO has given to our drama teacher:

http://www.glogster....h?old_view=True

Hey we were given the same link, but I decided to look up the original folktale anyway because it helps clarify the story that the poem is based on. It cant hurt either way to be honest since you would sort of get the same idea. The song is definitely not what you are supposed to use :P

By the way do you know when the actual IB turn in date is for all the work for theatre is? All my stuff is due starting tuesday, its my TPP then IPP then PPP then RI but I'm really screwed because I haven't started the RI or PPP (apart from brainstorming) so I'm trying to figure out if my teacher's just giving us earlier dates so we finish our work.

Either way we're screwed because we started all our work too late making it so annoying to study for everythig else !

I think its the 30th of April all over the world. In my school we finished everything apart from the PPP and we're asked to hand it in on the 19th of april. But like i said tha actual deadline is the 30th cause my teacher gave me back my IPP to fix something and she still didnt ask for it. Good Luck anyway :D

The crane wife...

I like the narrative of the story so I would stick with that and perhaps go with butoh.

Personally I chose Mussorgsky's pictures at an exhibition and I created a performance about mental health from scratch. But if you stick with a Japanese style, perhaps even go for something that is very constrictive like noh, and you should be fine.

Or (this is more difficult I think) go in a completely different direction and do a performance on how appearances are deceptive.

The ppp was my favourite project, I thought it was fun, but difficult.

Good luck :)

I personally would rather think more artisticly not narrative , but anyway good luck! My only issue with non westren theatre is that its very hard to find sources and research! I suffered so badly when I was doing my RI , I did it on Peking Opera which was a very painful experience! And the thing with butoh its too not theatri we did it in class I didn't like it , I'm more of a classic theatre person :)

I was actually thinking of heading in the directiong of Artuad's Theatre of Cruelty. We never studied it as a unit but I've been reading up on it and its fascinating so I think im going to go in a different direction than Japanese theatre becaause its true, eastern theatre and culture can be harder to find concrete material on I should know I had to research tons of Indian theatre for my EE and it was not easy!

But if anyone has any tips for PPP that'd be great.

I've consistently gotten 6s so far on my internals - TPPP & IPP and my teacher's so cryptic when it comes to understanding the criteria and what it takes to get in the highest scoring markband. I know that if i don't manage crazy high scores in my PPP and RI I have no hope of getting a 7 in Theatre :/

The PPP was my absolute favorite in Theatre haha. The stimulus I chose was the Easter Islands, and later on decided to have my PPP be about cannibalism, love, obsession etc. (applied Brecht's Epic Theatre & Artaud's Theatre of Cruelty) Ended with more or less 45 pages, I believe. (The example we got which was also graded a 7 had the same amount of pages.)

ANYWAY! I think the trick to acing the PPP, is to just make sure that you present your work as detailed and as vivid as you possibly can.

And yes, I'm talking about tons of images of:

-mind maps / brainstorming: mention your inspirations, what you find fascinating etc.

-character names: you don't have to (lol) but state why, if there ever is any significance / symbolism in the play

-costumes: state why you chose that specific colour, texture, size (actually spent time to draw detailed costumes + main props of all the characters in my play)

-lighting: give examples of how you would use lighting for any scene in your play and of course, why

-stage: what type of stage you would use and why this is the best choice

-music/ sound effects: (I included a CD, which contained 15 second snippets of every song I incorporated in my play, explained how this followed for example, Brecht's principles, and why this was relevant and how this would affect the audience.)

-places of every character on every scene - LOL I forgot the term used for this-.-..

+ Oh I also wrote a short script of a scene from my play - helps them get the feeling of what the play's like

Always justify WHY you made every decision you made in your own production; and remember, always refer back to for example in your case, Theatre of Cruelty. How is your interpretation a form of Theatre of Cruelty? How did Artaud's perspectives affect your decisions?

When it comes to your pitch, be straight to the point, can't give much of an advice cus I can't remember lol. Maybe I can send you the first n third part of my PPP ...? :dontgetit:

Oh and don't be afraid to sound like you're in English class (to some extent!), lol it'll help you when you're speaking of symbolisms etc. Just make sure you don't go overboard and start saying things like: "the onomatopoeia used here is vital because blah blah". :geek:

Be unique! Examiners get tons of PPPs to grade so try to make your work STAND OUT!!! :>

----

Can't really remember much more for now since this was 2 years ago for me, haha. but hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!

Edited by SushiMonstar

The PPP was my absolute favorite in Theatre haha. The stimulus I chose was the Easter Islands, and later on decided to have my PPP be about cannibalism, love, obsession etc. (applied Brecht's Epic Theatre & Artaud's Theatre of Cruelty) Ended with more or less 45 pages, I believe. (The example we got which was also graded a 7 had the same amount of pages.)

ANYWAY! I think the trick to acing the PPP, is to just make sure that you present your work as detailed and as vivid as you possibly can.

-mind maps / brainstorming: mention your inspirations, what you find fascinating etc.

-character names: you don't have to (lol) but state why, if there ever is any significance / symbolism in the play

-costumes: state why you chose that specific colour, texture, size (actually spent time to draw detailed costumes + main props of all the characters in my play)

-lighting: give examples of how you would use lighting for any scene in your play and of course, why

-music/ sound effects: (I included a CD, which contained 15 second snippets of every song I incorporated in my play, explained how this followed for example, Brecht's principles, and why this was relevant and how this would affect the audience.)

-places of every character on every scene - LOL I forgot the term used for this-.-..

+ Oh I also wrote a short script of a scene from my play - helps them get the feeling of what the play's like

Always justify WHY you made every decision you made in your own production; and remember, always refer back to for example in your case, Theatre of Cruelty. How is your interpretation a form of Theatre of Cruelty? How did Artaud's perspectives affect your decisions?

When it comes to your pitch, be straight to the point, can't give much of an advice cus I can't remember lol. Maybe I can send you the first n third part of my PPP ...? :dontgetit:

Oh and don't be afraid to sound like you're in English class (to some extent!), lol it'll help you when you're speaking of symbolisms etc. Just make sure you don't go overboard and start saying things like: "the onomatopoeia used here is vital because blah blah". :geek:

Be unique! Examiners get tons of PPPs to grade so try to make your work STAND OUT!!! :>

----

Can't really remember much more for now since this was 2 years ago for me, haha. but hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!

Thank you!!! Sorry didn't see this sooner haha, but that's definitely helpful because I was sort of unsure about whether or not to include details about it ALL. Do you remember how long it took you?

Alright well i've come up with my basic plot line and the sort of techniques I want to incorporate so I have started brainstorming up a lot of random stuff, so just hoping some brilliant creativity starts to strike me! PPP Does seem the most fun (apart from IPP) buttttt I'm just nervous because of exams coming up, agh why didn't we start sooner?

I'm in the same boat, stimulus wise. I chose to focuse on the story and the themes. And I know where you're coming from on the late start as well. My teacher got the dates WRONG. Told us they weren't due for another couple of weeks. Isn't she a gem? Haha, but don't worry. It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you're doing. Remember, IB looks for opportunities to give points as opposed to taking them away. I guess we're all turning it in tomorrow so there is no point in stressing now. Good luck!

• 3 months later...

----

Wow, that is some really REALLY helpful advice! Just one question... which bits did you put where? Like, was all that in the Part B? Because some of it sounds like it belongs in the Part C (philosophical rationale, or the socio-what's it etc etc)