Economics Extended Essay Help

shaoh

I'm in my first year of IB and I'm supposed to come up with a topic and research question for my EE. I'm deciding on doing something along the lines of how the time of the year/natural disasters affect the amount and prices of imported fruits and overall fruit availability which in turn affects the demand and supply for fruit juice and thus the market for fruit juice and the profit/revenue for fruit juice vendors in Singapore. What do you guys think about this? Is it good enough/narrow enough/too vague/unsuitable/too hard to do/comments please?

I'm deciding on doing something along the lines of how the time of the year/natural disasters affect the amount and prices of imported fruits and overall fruit availability which in turn affects the demand and supply for fruit juice and thus the market for fruit juice and the profit/revenue for fruit juice vendors in Singapore.

Those in bold are your variables... Too many for a close-up small-scale investigation an EE is supposed to be. You seem to be quite set on doing fruit/fruit juice, so now there are two parallel questions that you have to consider when you decide a topic: "On what variables should you focus?" and "What kind of information, as well as how much, could you get?" Of course the question of availability of info must take priority, and you can change your variables (and thus your question) later. So here is what you should do now:

1. Consider what kind of info and how much info you can get. Do you know anyone in the industry? Who, to be exact? Can you get their accounts and profits? Can you collect sufficient primary data on supply/demand/import side? If possible, you can start some preliminary interviews to see how far you can get. How about secondary data?

2. Based on the info you might be able to get, choose your variables and start your primary data collection.