Portfolio Type 1 -- Parabola Investigation

mGlala

Alright, I guess I'll just keep graphing and hope I hit something...even though we have never done Vieta's formula in class...

BTW, is the final conjecture completely different from what we had earlier? i.e, nothing to do with slopes and the a value then?

Ah well, lemme see if there is a pattern in there...though I don't know how to interpret it...

Thanks.

I have done this portfolio, if u need more help PM

• 1 month later...
Oh God this brings back some memories lol I had to do 60 pages on this, about 20 pages or so had a huge graph on each of them because of No. 2. And I've found two conjectures for Q.5 and 6 - one was that D always equal to zero, and the other one was a little different.

I could give you a hint but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to here......so yup, if you need some help I could help you - just PM me.

hi how would i pm you, i am a newbie, lllol, and i need help

I have finish this ia already. to give you guys some hintfor part five, the conjecture would be

SL = x2 ‐x1

‐ S1 = x4 –x3

‐ SR = x6 –x5

D = | SL ‐ S1 ‐ SR |=0

for part 6 use sum of root to prove your conjecture, if you have any? pm me

hopes that helps

thanks

hi for part six what conjecture are you talking about?

i'm working on this portfolio at the moment. I think i've got the right conjecture up to Q4. Well, Q5 and 6 cause some problem because i can't find the roots on general cubic formula. I tried to find the Vieta's formula, i used it although i'm not very sure how to use. Can someone give me any hint to use Vieta's theorem? Do we have to perform any substitution or swap the formula around?

Also, for Q6, how do you prove the conjecture? I dont know how to find x for general polynomial formula. Do we still use Vieta's theorem? (i'm stuck because on the website, i only found the theorem applied to degree 3)

Anyway, it's frustrated to see ppl writing 60 pages of work for this one. T.T

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/VietasFormulas.html, this is a good site that explains Vieta's formula. For cubic polynomial, arrange the general formula to be like line 14 and 15 on the website. Since r1, r2, r3 are the roots of the cubic, line 15 shows that the sum of the roots is the coefficient of the x squared term. When the cubic is intersected with another linear line, equate the right side of the equation (line 14) and the general formula for a linear line (mx+b). Then rearrange the equation to let 0 be on right side and you'll see that the coefficient of the x squared term has not changed.

If anyone has any questions, PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

When doing this portfolio, while the first thing that comes to mind is Vieta's formula, you cannot use it in this case. I forget the specific reasons...I did this portfolio about a month ago.

What I found was that all you really need for part 6 is a lot of examples. If you just work on the examples, you will definitely see a common pattern emerging. All you have to do after that is to arrange them into a neat conjecture. Don't over-complicate things unnecessarily.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/VietasFormulas.html, this is a good site that explains Vieta's formula. For cubic polynomial, arrange the general formula to be like line 14 and 15 on the website. Since r1, r2, r3 are the roots of the cubic, line 15 shows that the sum of the roots is the coefficient of the x squared term. When the cubic is intersected with another linear line, equate the right side of the equation (line 14) and the general formula for a linear line (mx+b). Then rearrange the equation to let 0 be on right side and you'll see that the coefficient of the x squared term has not changed.

If anyone has any questions, PM me.

well if the x squared term doesn't change, then are you saying that it has something to do with that term? if so, i still can't find a coorelation between the x squared term and the D value. I kept the numerator to 1 since it's just y=x and y=2x but, idk how to do this.

You have to use a little bit of creativity here. You are no longer given the EXACT formula for D.

However, I will give you that:

SL = x2-x1

SM = x4-x3

SR = x6-x5

Using these, subtract two of them from one of them...and you should get zero. Play around with the values, and you'll get it. For this portfolio, I found that the best way to find things out is using many examples and then trying to find out the common pattern.