Portfolio Type 1 -- Parabola Investigation

mGlala

I am s-t-ruggling for the proofs in questions 3 and 4 any help?

Think about how you would algebraically go about finding the intersections of two functions.

For example if you have the functions f(x)=x^2 and g(x)=x, how would you find their intersections without a calculator? It's really simple, and you need to use a method that you will have learned long ago. You're dealing with quadratics, so there's quite a simple way of solving for x. Also, your proof has to work for quadratics in any form, so each term could have any coefficient.

I hope that helps.

Hi, sorry for the double post, but I have a question myself. I was able to deduce a general formula for polynomials of any degree intersecting with a polynomial of any degree. In other words, all polynomials could be of different orders. Is this swaying a bit too far off the topic of the investigation or is it worth including?

I would really appreciate a response as soon as possible as I have to hand this in tomorrow and won't be able to speak to my teacher until then.

Edited by CocoPop

• 1 month later...

Guys, I am on question 3 where I have to prove it. I have used the sum and product of root thing and I have managed to calculate from this the conjecture that I deduce from the pattern. Is this enough as a proof or do I have to do some testing? I hope you guys who have done it get what I mean.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

aya91: Stay up till 6 AM if you have to, but get as many of the questions answered as you possibly can. I don't need to mention that these things need time and have to be started early, but the more the better. Generally, going up to question 4 will get around 8 to 9 points, if I remember correctly, but that was loosely based off what my teacher said. That's also not bad, considering people who do the whole thing end up with 8 or 9, rather often.

Hmm.. whats the average length of a type 1 IA? Mine in total turned out to be ~24 pages but with spacing for graphs, etc. but I covered all points and tried not to be repetitive. so I don't know about that..

I got a 20 with mine, and it was 3 and a half pages, total. In addition to that, I can quote my math teacher saying that anyone who went over 5 pages on this particular assignment missed the boat at question three, but elaborating would make it too easy to find out why. The main "reason" is that the 24-page people have that much because they write and write and do example after example to justify their claim, when the proof is three or four lines long. My question 5 looked like one example, that I did in maple so I just wrote the answer, then I wrote a conjecture and a 4 line proof, then did the same for question 6. Those two, combined, were half a page, simply because IB doesn't ask for examples or tests for the last two questions.

Anyways, some questions to ask yourself: What are you really doing to these polynomials? What is a polynomial? What characteristics does a polynomial have?

As a final note, if you use the quadratic formula in any part of your proofs, you're on the wrong track, the proof can be made about 1/5 as long as yours will be.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Okay I'm doing this same investigation now its do next Friday so I still have time. I have not got to 5. or 6. yet, but in terms of 3. and 4. how do I rule out the lines that will not intersect the parabola at least twice. That is, I have a sound conjecture, but I don't know how to limit it to only the lines that will allow for D. On the side of proving my conjecture should I try to use the general form of the parabola and the gradient for the linear lines or do something else?

Any help will be appreciated =D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, so i'm still on part two, trying to prove what i think could be a conjecture by putting up examples. I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a way to speed that up and was wondering if anyone has any tips maybe, that would be appreciated, this investigation is so confusing to me.

What you want to do is go after it algebraically - That's how I got it.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Can anyone help me with the parabola investigation? I am stuck in number 5 and 6. Thanks!

Sl=x1-x2

Sr=x3-x4

D= abs( Sl-Sr)

5.Determine whether a similar conjecture can be made for cubic polynomials

6. Consider whether the conjecture might be modified to include higher order polynomials.

How would you find D for the cubic regression? Since you would have 6 intersections instead of only 4? Is it:

Sl=x3-x2-x1

Sr=x6-x5-x4

D=abs(Sl-Sr)

????

I got a 20 with mine, and it was 3 and a half pages, total. In addition to that, I can quote my math teacher saying that anyone who went over 5 pages on this particular assignment missed the boat at question three, but elaborating would make it too easy to find out why. The main "reason" is that the 24-page people have that much because they write and write and do example after example to justify their claim, when the proof is three or four lines long. My question 5 looked like one example, that I did in maple so I just wrote the answer, then I wrote a conjecture and a 4 line proof, then did the same for question 6. Those two, combined, were half a page, simply because IB doesn't ask for examples or tests for the last two questions.

Anyways, some questions to ask yourself: What are you really doing to these polynomials? What is a polynomial? What characteristics does a polynomial have?

As a final note, if you use the quadratic formula in any part of your proofs, you're on the wrong track, the proof can be made about 1/5 as long as yours will be.

Hi sharkspider,

So I have no idea how to go about writing a formal proof. What math theorems need to be incorporated into it?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, I am doing this portfolio as well. 1-4 are very eqasy, if any1 have questions PM. I'm stuck at 5 as many of you:( I do not get D = O. I'm taking always exact values, maybe that's a problem, but when I'm rounding the answer it still does not get exact zero :(

Ohmykebab. I have no idea how to do the entire investigation! My teacher just gave it to me, and worst is i'm the only student in the whole school doing math HL, so i can't ask anyone for help

Please help meeee, ANYONE! I've done question 1, but idk what values to use for q2 and q3 etc..

Hey, I am doing this portfolio as well. 1-4 are very eqasy, if any1 have questions PM. I'm stuck at 5 as many of you:( I do not get D = O. I'm taking always exact values, maybe that's a problem, but when I'm rounding the answer it still does not get exact zero :(

Ohmykebab. I have no idea how to do the entire investigation! My teacher just gave it to me, and worst is i'm the only student in the whole school doing math HL, so i can't ask anyone for help

Please help meeee, ANYONE! I've done question 1, but idk what values to use for q2 and q3 etc..

questions 2 and 3 are mostly just algebraic ways of finding general rules instead of specific examples.