Final Words to Exam Writing Candidates

CkyBlue

Damn it, so close yet so far.

I really feel like I haven't put nearly enough work as I should've into my exams, so I hope I do okay.

I feel the same... Exams starting tomorrow, and I'm still trying to learn things let alone revising them -.-

Ditto. I agree, had so many lightbulb moments while doing past paper 2s for math, mixed feeling of shame and happiness that I FINALLY (after almost 1.5 years), get something. :P

On that note, so scared for English tomorrow (I hate commentaries. :/) All the best for tomorrow everyone! :D

No English will be fine... Philosophy on the other hand, I'm fine with ethics and the core theme should be no problem, it's just philosophy of religion and paper 2 I will die on, paper 3 should be a walk in the park, and Maths shouldn't be too hard...

Get a good nights sleep and do not revise anything for 30 mins before the beginning of an exam, use those 30 mins to try to relax, because if you cram then, then thats the only thing you'll be able to think of for the entire exam, and more likely to fail...

Good luck :)

Ugh, just finished english. No more unseens EVER! So glad.

Hoping math is not that bad and like may 2011/even november (that was one of the easiest ever). Next 2 weeks are death, chem, econ and bio HL for me and eng paper 2. but good luck on philosophy, just curious, is IB philosophy more/less like TOK except more technical and stuff?

Thanks for the tip. :) All the best. :D

I really feel like I haven't put nearly enough work as I should've into my exams, so I hope I do okay.

I feel the same... Exams starting tomorrow, and I'm still trying to learn things let alone revising them -.-

Ditto. I agree, had so many lightbulb moments while doing past paper 2s for math, mixed feeling of shame and happiness that I FINALLY (after almost 1.5 years), get something. :P

On that note, so scared for English tomorrow (I hate commentaries. :/) All the best for tomorrow everyone! :D

No English will be fine... Philosophy on the other hand, I'm fine with ethics and the core theme should be no problem, it's just philosophy of religion and paper 2 I will die on, paper 3 should be a walk in the park, and Maths shouldn't be too hard...

Get a good nights sleep and do not revise anything for 30 mins before the beginning of an exam, use those 30 mins to try to relax, because if you cram then, then thats the only thing you'll be able to think of for the entire exam, and more likely to fail...

Hoping math is not that bad and like may 2011/even november (that was one of the easiest ever). Next 2 weeks are death, chem, econ and bio HL for me and eng paper 2. but good luck on philosophy, just curious, is IB philosophy more/less like TOK except more technical and stuff?

Philosophy isn't much like tok, we get to discuss God, philosophy of religion, what it means to be a human being, we get to write a paper reflecting on what it is to be a philosopher, it's all interesting stuff, and of course each school essentially sets the syllabus from the options the IB gives, so there's philosophy of art, politics, epistemology (which is tok) etc etc, our schools optional themes are philosophy of religion and ethics.

Edited by The Economist
Do not talk about the exams unless 24 hours have passed.

Philosophy isn't much like tok, we get to discuss God, philosophy of religion, what it means to be a human being, we get to write a paper reflecting on what it is to be a philosopher, it's all interesting stuff, and of course each school essentially sets the syllabus from the options the IB gives, so there's philosophy of art, politics, epistemology (which is tok) etc etc, our schools optional themes are philosophy of religion and ethics.

Woah, seems pretty tough to me. I love the sciences/math/business: more objective I guess. but hope you ace the papers, I am guessing if ur IA mark is high/decent, it leaves some room for error right. :D

Good luck for math!. :) Definitely does help esp as you really can't do anything 10 mins before an exam.

Edited by The Economist
Do not talk about the exam unless 24 hours have passed.

Woah, seems pretty tough to me. I love the sciences/math/business: more objective I guess. but hope you ace the papers, I am guessing if ur IA mark is high/decent, it leaves some room for error right. :D

Good luck for math!. :) Definitely does help esp as you really can't do anything 10 mins before an exam.

Haha thanks. I guess I'll let you know how today's philosophy exams went tomorrow... Yesterdays philosophy exam was tough, I definitely didn't get all the marks I needed. My IA was 24/30, so slight leeway there... Haha, I'm a very very abstract person, I love the arty subjects... I hate all this waiting around between exams though.

Doesn't mean im any less objective than you though! Philosophy has its fair share of objectivity, it's just slightly more difficult, but I have learnt over the years (did an AS (uk national examination system for post 16 education) in philosophy 2 years ago, when I was 14/15) to out my own beliefs aside of need be (if I can't argue for them, like God) and I can be perfectly objective... It's better if you can be objective in philosophy... But sciences aren't very objective, it's based on sense perception, which is something very subjective...

I can be perfectly objective... It's better if you can be objective in philosophy... But sciences aren't very objective, it's based on sense perception

lol wut?

Sense perceptions are subjective because what you see isn't necessarily what I see - you may be colour blind, I am not, but I'm short sighted and you may have 20/20 vision, therefore we do not see things in the same way. However, in philosophy you're generally playing a language game with the universally understood and accepted definitions of words in the language, it's all about logic and reasoning. Hence I think that sciences are somewhat subjective. This however, does not mean that I don't believe in sciences, I think they're useful, it just boils down to the validity of the experiments, can someone get the same results if they redo the experiment.

Sense perceptions are subjective because what you see isn't necessarily what I see - you may be colour blind, I am not, but I'm short sighted and you may have 20/20 vision, therefore we do not see things in the same way. However, in philosophy you're generally playing a language game with the universally understood and accepted definitions of words in the language, it's all about logic and reasoning. Hence I think that sciences are somewhat subjective. This however, does not mean that I don't believe in sciences, I think they're useful, it just boils down to the validity of the experiments, can someone get the same results if they redo the experiment.

The results in science prove to be more objective than that of philosophy. The definitions of words are not always as objective as you might think they are. Science involves logic and reasoning also. I don't think the techniques of philosophy are as objective as you make them out to be.

I still understand what you're saying however.

Haha thanks. I guess I'll let you know how today's philosophy exams went tomorrow... Yesterdays philosophy exam was tough, I definitely didn't get all the marks I needed. My IA was 24/30, so slight leeway there... Haha, I'm a very very abstract person, I love the arty subjects... I hate all this waiting around between exams though.

Doesn't mean im any less objective than you though! Philosophy has its fair share of objectivity, it's just slightly more difficult, but I have learnt over the years (did an AS (uk national examination system for post 16 education) in philosophy 2 years ago, when I was 14/15) to out my own beliefs aside of need be (if I can't argue for them, like God) and I can be perfectly objective... It's better if you can be objective in philosophy... But sciences aren't very objective, it's based on sense perception, which is something very subjective...

Oh, complete opposites then, I love the maths/sciences as it is not so much a grey area but I am guessing philosophy philosophy (not TOK) prob has rules or at least principles as opposed to "how do we know"

Counting the end of this exam period, hasn't been the best so far and doubt its going to get any better. :(

Counting the end of this exam period, hasn't been the best so far and doubt its going to get any better. :(

Aww, well I hope it gets better for you, I've got my worst subjects yet ahead... Biology is my last exams, and ive been working really hard for that, but I just know I won't do as well as I need to... And today isn't a brilliant day either... -.-

Aww, well I hope it gets better for you, I've got my worst subjects yet ahead... Biology is my last exams, and ive been working really hard for that, but I just know I won't do as well as I need to... And today

Thank you. :) Same, chem HL, econ and bio Hl all over the next 2 weeks, not looking forward to it. :/ Are you bio HL? Cause if you are SL, shouldn't be too bad; however HL bio is way more intense content-wise.

Heard what happened, complete opp. of my timezone. Yesterday was simply horrible and brutal but thinking about it, I no LONGER have to do trig ever again. ;D

Aww, well I hope it gets better for you, I've got my worst subjects yet ahead... Biology is my last exams, and ive been working really hard for that, but I just know I won't do as well as I need to... And today

Thank you. :) Same, chem HL, econ and bio Hl all over the next 2 weeks, not looking forward to it. :/ Are you bio HL? Cause if you are SL, shouldn't be too bad; however HL bio is way more intense content-wise.

Heard what happened, complete opp. of my timezone. Yesterday was simply horrible and brutal but thinking about it, I no LONGER have to do trig ever again. ;D

Yeah I'm bio HL. My school only offers the proper sciences at HL, ess is the only sl "science" offered.

I've got English, japanese and bio as well, it's gonna be tough but it will be worth it as long as I get into central Lancashire. I'm fine with trigs, I'm just glad I don't have to use a graphic again... End up doing standard deviation in my head - always - because I cannot do it on the graphic... So much easier in my head!

Yeah I'm bio HL. My school only offers the proper sciences at HL, ess is the only sl "science" offered.

I've got English, japanese and bio as well, it's gonna be tough but it will be worth it as long as I get into central Lancashire. I'm fine with trigs, I'm just glad I don't have to use a graphic again... End up doing standard deviation in my head - always - because I cannot do it on the graphic... So much easier in my head!

Gah, same here. ESS is a science? :P jks, well I think physio/cell resp/ photosynthesis/ plants are the most imp. Usually a question on those and unit 2 (cells) as well. Its one of the things I am scared of since there is so much content and so little time. And on top of that, bio boundaries are high high.

Japanese sounds cool.

You can do standard deviation in your head? Thats amazing! I need a calc. :$

Edited by apple.toronto

Gah, same here. ESS is a science? :P jks, well I think physio/cell resp/ photosynthesis/ plants are the most imp. Usually a question on those and unit 2 (cells) as well. Its one of the things I am scared of since there is so much content and so little time. And on top of that, bio boundaries are high high.

Japanese sounds cool.

Apparently ESS is a science.. Oh, yeah the content is huge and you'll getbatbleast one question on almost every topic. I started revising about 4 months ago, I cannot fail biology, and I guess ive been lucky since my boyfriend's dad is a biology lecturer at a uni here in London.

Japanese is cool and it impresses everyone when I say that I study Japanese, but I can't really speak, read or understand it, but I can write, and my grammar is all over the place...

Well, depends on how you see it, I need a calculator to work out the additions, squares etc, but I can't do it on a graphic calculator, so I just wrote down the most important numbers on paper and the rest was done using a normal scientific calculator. However, I did nearly forget to square root and I had to check whether I was meant to be using the biased (normally used in Maths) or the unbiased (used in biology) formula, the difference between them is the n that you divide by, in the biased formula you just divide by n, in the unbiased formula you divide by n-1. Sorry, I'm sure you know that, without me telling you that :)

Japanese sounds cool.

Apparently ESS is a science.. Oh, yeah the content is huge and you'll getbatbleast one question on almost every topic. I started revising about 4 months ago, I cannot fail biology, and I guess ive been lucky since my boyfriend's dad is a biology lecturer at a uni here in London.

Japanese is cool and it impresses everyone when I say that I study Japanese, but I can't really speak, read or understand it, but I can write, and my grammar is all over the place...

Well, depends on how you see it, I need a calculator to work out the additions, squares etc, but I can't do it on a graphic calculator, so I just wrote down the most important numbers on paper and the rest was done using a normal scientific calculator. However, I did nearly forget to square root and I had to check whether I was meant to be using the biased (normally used in Maths) or the unbiased (used in biology) formula, the difference between them is the n that you divide by, in the biased formula you just divide by n, in the unbiased formula you divide by n-1. Sorry, I'm sure you know that, without me telling you that :)

Hmph, seems weird. You are definitely set then, 4 months ago. :P. Definitely, one of the worst things about bio is you have to literally know everything.

Aww, thats me with Hindi. I can speak it but can't read/write but Japanese is such a cool language to know.

Ah, I see, I thought u literally meant everything in your head and I was pre surprised.

Japanese sounds cool.

Hmph, seems weird. You are definitely set then, 4 months ago. :P. Definitely, one of the worst things about bio is you have to literally know everything.

Aww, thats me with Hindi. I can speak it but can't read/write but Japanese is such a cool language to know.

Ah, I see, I thought u literally meant everything in your head and I was pre surprised.

They tried doing the proper sciences as SL but it wasn't working because the HL students need to know SL and HL, and they didn't know which lessons were SL and HL etc and there was no continuity, so they changed it. Ha, I don't feel set in the least, just finished the last topics today, but I refuse to take advantage of my boyfriend's fathers knowledge, especially this close to the exams! I don't need to go through everything again at degree level...

It is a cool language. Ive been told that when I get drunk I start commenting on other couples in Japanese and my boyfriend's friend, who also speaks Japanese, translates, and I've been saying things like: "they're cute together" "you're beautiful" and just really random things that I cannot remember having said in the morning. At least I don't bitch about people in Japanese when drunk, not that I know how to anyway...

Haha, I do Maths studies, I cannot add or subtract to save my life, let alone do standard deviation completely. By without a calculator I meant without a GDC, I think I've been IB-ified, and so forget that others dont think of a GDC as soon as calculator is mentioned... Sorry :)

Japanese sounds cool.

They tried doing the proper sciences as SL but it wasn't working because the HL students need to know SL and HL, and they didn't know which lessons were SL and HL etc and there was no continuity, so they changed it. Ha, I don't feel set in the least, just finished the last topics today, but I refuse to take advantage of my boyfriend's fathers knowledge, especially this close to the exams! I don't need to go through everything again at degree level...

It is a cool language. Ive been told that when I get drunk I start commenting on other couples in Japanese and my boyfriend's friend, who also speaks Japanese, translates, and I've been saying things like: "they're cute together" "you're beautiful" and just really random things that I cannot remember having said in the morning. At least I don't bitch about people in Japanese when drunk, not that I know how to anyway...

Haha, I do Maths studies, I cannot add or subtract to save my life, let alone do standard deviation completely. By without a calculator I meant without a GDC, I think I've been IB-ified, and so forget that others dont think of a GDC as soon as calculator is mentioned... Sorry :)

Oh, true say. Our chem teacher (comp new to IB) has no clue about SL and HL topics, luckily there is only one SL kid but unless you are a good teacher, pre hard to differentiate and teach properly. True say, it can comp screw u up but I am sure u will do well enough. Bio is with econ for me, so its going to be stressful cramming after chem is over.

Aww, that is def a good thing although if u do get pised at something, just spit out the random japanese. a) they won't understand and b) you will seem cool.

Oopsies, thats what IB does. 4 years ago, I could have survived without a calc, now my GDC= best friend. Btw, for the science papers, they put boxes for the responses since last year, does that mean we can't write beyond the boxes/use answer sheets?