Final Words to Exam Writing Candidates

CkyBlue

I can be perfectly objective... It's better if you can be objective in philosophy... But sciences aren't very objective, it's based on sense perception

lol wut?

Sense perceptions are subjective because what you see isn't necessarily what I see - you may be colour blind, I am not, but I'm short sighted and you may have 20/20 vision, therefore we do not see things in the same way. However, in philosophy you're generally playing a language game with the universally understood and accepted definitions of words in the language, it's all about logic and reasoning. Hence I think that sciences are somewhat subjective. This however, does not mean that I don't believe in sciences, I think they're useful, it just boils down to the validity of the experiments, can someone get the same results if they redo the experiment.

I think scientists all over the world are weeping at the thought that Philosophy might be more objective than science, undisputed King of the Objective Penguins!

:penguin:

If TOK is teaching people to discard science as low on objectivity on the basis of sense/perception being potentially untrustworthy, and logical conclusions based on theoretical imaginings to be high on the objectivity scale, I actually think in some warped way that's worse than people who believe anything they're told! That we do not see things the same way is a hypothetical proposition based on the impossibility of ever being able to actually be another person, which I wouldn't call objective or subjective as much as a statement of current reality.

On the other hand, whilst we do not see things in the same way necessarily (we probably do; we have exactly the same apparatus for seeing and there's nothing to suggest we would except for the impossibility of ever being able to prove it), but the mass spectrometer does ;) Discard ye not science for not being objective. It's more or less the winner of the objectivity we-have-an-obsession-with-measurements awards.

I can be perfectly objective... It's better if you can be objective in philosophy... But sciences aren't very objective, it's based on sense perception

lol wut?

Sense perceptions are subjective because what you see isn't necessarily what I see - you may be colour blind, I am not, but I'm short sighted and you may have 20/20 vision, therefore we do not see things in the same way. However, in philosophy you're generally playing a language game with the universally understood and accepted definitions of words in the language, it's all about logic and reasoning. Hence I think that sciences are somewhat subjective. This however, does not mean that I don't believe in sciences, I think they're useful, it just boils down to the validity of the experiments, can someone get the same results if they redo the experiment.

I think scientists all over the world are weeping at the thought that Philosophy might be more objective than science, undisputed King of the Objective Penguins!

:penguin:

If TOK is teaching people to discard science as low on objectivity on the basis of sense/perception being potentially untrustworthy, and logical conclusions based on theoretical imaginings to be high on the objectivity scale, I actually think in some warped way that's worse than people who believe anything they're told! That we do not see things the same way is a hypothetical proposition based on the impossibility of ever being able to actually be another person, which I wouldn't call objective or subjective as much as a statement of current reality.

On the other hand, whilst we do not see things in the same way necessarily (we probably do; we have exactly the same apparatus for seeing and there's nothing to suggest we would except for the impossibility of ever being able to prove it), but the mass spectrometer does ;) Discard ye not science for not being objective. It's more or less the winner of the objectivity we-have-an-obsession-with-measurements awards.

Wow, I seem to have sparked massive debate. For the record, I do believe science and it's objectivity, I admire scientists etc. I'm not a complete God-is-all-truth-science-is-lies-person, if I was, I'd have been disowned by my family and the church of Sweden and everyone I know. I was merely just making a slight point that if you have objectivity on a sliding scale, they'd be very close, but the philosophical method (which is very similar to the scientific method) would just be slightly more objective than science.

And I agree with you about your point on ToK, because science is very important to our society, and I dont think I would want to live in a world in which we didn't have scientists. But let me just say this, science started out as philosophy: Heraclitus (google him, he was the focus of my EE) believed that the most basic substance was fire, while Thales believed it to be water. In those days they could only speculate about the sciences.

Don't think just because I made that point about philosophy being more objective than sciences that I reject all sciences as subjective, not at all.

Counting the end of this exam period, hasn't been the best so far and doubt its going to get any better. :(

Aww, well I hope it gets better for you, I've got my worst subjects yet ahead... Biology is my last exams, and ive been working really hard for that, but I just know I won't do as well as I need to... And today

Thank you. :) Same, chem HL, econ and bio Hl all over the next 2 weeks, not looking forward to it. :/ Are you bio HL? Cause if you are SL, shouldn't be too bad; however HL bio is way more intense content-wise.

Heard what happened, complete opp. of my timezone. Yesterday was simply horrible and brutal but thinking about it, I no LONGER have to do trig ever again. ;D

Yeah I'm bio HL. My school only offers the proper sciences at HL, ess is the only sl "science" offered.

I've got English, japanese and bio as well, it's gonna be tough but it will be worth it as long as I get into central Lancashire. I'm fine with trigs, I'm just glad I don't have to use a graphic again... End up doing standard deviation in my head - always - because I cannot do it on the graphic... So much easier in my head!

Gah, same here. ESS is a science? :P jks, well I think physio/cell resp/ photosynthesis/ plants are the most imp. Usually a question on those and unit 2 (cells) as well. Its one of the things I am scared of since there is so much content and so little time. And on top of that, bio boundaries are high high.

Japanese sounds cool.

You can do standard deviation in your head? Thats amazing! I need a calc. :$

Apparently ESS is a science.. Oh, yeah the content is huge and you'll getbatbleast one question on almost every topic. I started revising about 4 months ago, I cannot fail biology, and I guess ive been lucky since my boyfriend's dad is a biology lecturer at a uni here in London.

Japanese is cool and it impresses everyone when I say that I study Japanese, but I can't really speak, read or understand it, but I can write, and my grammar is all over the place...

Well, depends on how you see it, I need a calculator to work out the additions, squares etc, but I can't do it on a graphic calculator, so I just wrote down the most important numbers on paper and the rest was done using a normal scientific calculator. However, I did nearly forget to square root and I had to check whether I was meant to be using the biased (normally used in Maths) or the unbiased (used in biology) formula, the difference between them is the n that you divide by, in the biased formula you just divide by n, in the unbiased formula you divide by n-1. Sorry, I'm sure you know that, without me telling you that :)

Hmph, seems weird. You are definitely set then, 4 months ago. :P. Definitely, one of the worst things about bio is you have to literally know everything.

Aww, thats me with Hindi. I can speak it but can't read/write but Japanese is such a cool language to know.

Ah, I see, I thought u literally meant everything in your head and I was pre surprised.

They tried doing the proper sciences as SL but it wasn't working because the HL students need to know SL and HL, and they didn't know which lessons were SL and HL etc and there was no continuity, so they changed it. Ha, I don't feel set in the least, just finished the last topics today, but I refuse to take advantage of my boyfriend's fathers knowledge, especially this close to the exams! I don't need to go through everything again at degree level...

It is a cool language. Ive been told that when I get drunk I start commenting on other couples in Japanese and my boyfriend's friend, who also speaks Japanese, translates, and I've been saying things like: "they're cute together" "you're beautiful" and just really random things that I cannot remember having said in the morning. At least I don't bitch about people in Japanese when drunk, not that I know how to anyway...

Haha, I do Maths studies, I cannot add or subtract to save my life, let alone do standard deviation completely. By without a calculator I meant without a GDC, I think I've been IB-ified, and so forget that others dont think of a GDC as soon as calculator is mentioned... Sorry :)

Oh, true say. Our chem teacher (comp new to IB) has no clue about SL and HL topics, luckily there is only one SL kid but unless you are a good teacher, pre hard to differentiate and teach properly. True say, it can comp screw u up but I am sure u will do well enough. Bio is with econ for me, so its going to be stressful cramming after chem is over.

Aww, that is def a good thing although if u do get pised at something, just spit out the random japanese. a) they won't understand and b) you will seem cool.

Oopsies, thats what IB does. 4 years ago, I could have survived without a calc, now my GDC= best friend. Btw, for the science papers, they put boxes for the responses since last year, does that mean we can't write beyond the boxes/use answer sheets?

Yeah, we had that in theatre too, and the one SL student ended up swapping to higher, and then dropped out after IB1.

Haha yeah, but I don't know any insults other than Baka, which everyone else also knows, so I might need to look them up. Although I have learnt what apocalypse is (not because I believe in such conspiracies) so I can ask my boyfriend to play muse's apocalypse please in Japanese... Quite a cool thing to do at parties :)

Haha yeah, I called my GDC Ben, dunno why...

I don't know what that means I'm afraid. Our teachers have always made our exam papers, I wouldn't know. Sorry :S

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, went away for a while to focus down on this week (had both my HLs) Hope biology went amazing for you. :D

2 exams to freedom for me!

ah good luck with your next two!! I hope you do really well!

yeah biology did go really well! How many hours has it been? more than 24 for definite :D there was a lot on Human Health and Physiology and i was so glad we didnt have to draw anything! could answer each question confidently, well, except for paper 3 - Further Human Physiology - last question, which i just outlined, didnt explain and then asked my boyfriend's father about, so i might have gotten a couple marks at least.

overall im happy and trying to keep my mind off july 6th... Cleaning ftw! just so glad its all over!

Good luck hunn, im sure you'll get the grades you deserve :)

Sorry, went away for a while to focus down on this week (had both my HLs) Hope biology went amazing for you. :D

yeah biology did go really well! How many hours has it been? more than 24 for definite :D there was a lot on Human Health and Physiology and i was so glad we didnt have to draw anything! could answer each question confidently, well, except for paper 3 - Further Human Physiology - last question, which i just outlined, didnt explain and then asked my boyfriend's father about, so i might have gotten a couple marks at least.

overall im happy and trying to keep my mind off july 6th... Cleaning ftw! just so glad its all over!

Thanks a lot. 28 hours to freedom! (a bit sad that I am actually counting but meh)

More than 24. :P You have had like the whole weekend. hehe. I know, both questions I answered were on human health and physio. Just annoyed they ignored ALL the cell resp, photosynthesis stuff in paper 2. but I can't draw at all so it was a great paper in that respect. Also, keep in mind, your boyfriend's father is a uni prof, some marks in IB can be gained by simply stating the basics so don't worry and also a 7 doesn't mean you have to get perfect.

That is great. Yeah, if you wanna keep sane, better not to think about it.

Fingers crossed, I really wanna make my offer since my back-up is not exactly that appealing. Hope you get a great score and make the uni offer too! :D

Thanks a lot. 28 hours to freedom! (a bit sad that I am actually counting but meh)

More than 24. :P You have had like the whole weekend. hehe. I know, both questions I answered were on human health and physio. Just annoyed they ignored ALL the cell resp, photosynthesis stuff in paper 2. but I can't draw at all so it was a great paper in that respect. Also, keep in mind, your boyfriend's father is a uni prof, some marks in IB can be gained by simply stating the basics so don't worry and also a 7 doesn't mean you have to get perfect.

Fingers crossed, I really wanna make my offer since my back-up is not exactly that appealing. Hope you get a great score and make the uni offer too! :D

Haha yeah, but I've only really used his help once, and that was for an IA, which I didn't understand at all, so he explained the chem bits to me.

Meh, 7 I will not get (predicted a 4). Haha yeah, the whole weekend... It flew by.

I'm glad they didn't come up... My worst topic is photosynthesis and cell respiration - I mix up the Calvin and krebs cycle constantly! :-/

Oh well, enjoy the "summer" until July 6th and then enjoy the rest of it after good results :-)

Haha yeah, but I've only really used his help once, and that was for an IA, which I didn't understand at all, so he explained the chem bits to me.

Meh, 7 I will not get (predicted a 4). Haha yeah, the whole weekend... It flew by.

I'm glad they didn't come up... My worst topic is photosynthesis and cell respiration - I mix up the Calvin and krebs cycle constantly! :-/

Oh well, enjoy the "summer" until July 6th and then enjoy the rest of it after good results :-)

Ohh, guessing you don't take chem? :o

Epically scared, have a canadian unconditional but I reallyy really want to make my UCAS offers (even my insurance). :(

Wel, you will get better than that. ;) Hows IB-free life? :)

Woah :S Where is this thread going? Suggest you guys should keep this on your own walls.

oopsies sorry. :( Next post, and btw thanks for the motivational post. Epically scared for the 6th now.

• Like 1