EE Supervisor Troubles

Danbo

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if for the extended essay it was possible to have someone who is not your teacher to supervise your progress on the extended essay. I ask this because I want to do my extended essay on Biology. However because of management and school complications my current Biology teacher won't be teaching IB Biology as of next year >.<

They still haven't found a replacement yet and we're starting our extended essay so I have to find a supervisor quickly.

What can I do? :S

Yes, you should be able to do a Biology EE if there are other Biology teachers willing to supervise you. Talk to your coordinator about your problem. If worse comes to worse however, be prepared to write your essay on a different subject.

Yes, you should be able to do a Biology EE if there are other Biology teachers willing to supervise you. Talk to your coordinator about your problem. If worse comes to worse however, be prepared to write your essay on a different subject.

The thing is, he's the only Biology teacher in the school >.< Next year he'll still be teaching in my school though- just not IB. I really want to avoid changing my EE subject, though :( I have a passion for Biology and I hope to pursue a career in it in the future and the extended essay seemed like a great means of knowing whether or not further studies would persist this passion I currently have for Biology.

But is it allowed to have a supervisor that isn't teaching you? :\

Anyway, I'll still ask my IB coordinator and I'll see what's what :] Thank you so much for replying, though!

Yes, you should be able to have a supervisor who isn't teaching you. With so many kids in a cohort, having only IB teachers supervise would prove to be an immeasurable task. I think I interpreted your question incorrectly, apologies!

If your current biology teacher is willing to supervise for you, it should be no problem; you just have to make sure he familiarizes himself with the criteria for the EE. However, you should be aware that his inexperience with the EE may put you at a disadvantage.

Yeah we definitely had people being supervised by people who didn't actually teach them. In some cases, who didn't even teach the subject! Provided your teacher is okay with it, it should be fine. I mean whether they teach you or not makes no difference - you're hardly going to go through stuff about your EE during class time.